Cream\beige Jods

virtuallyhorses

NZ TB owner
Mar 1, 2002
New Zealand
www.virtuallyhorses.com
Need more cream\beige jods but notice how its always the coloured ones on sale?

Buy the colourful sale price ones and get a product called Dylon RunAway from the supermarket\chemist. Not only does it solve colour runs in white clothes but it's also good at completely removing the colour from anything else. It takes the colour back to the base colour prior to the fabric was dyed and for most that's a cream\beige (the same colour as you want for jods).

Note - it doesn't tend to take the colour out of synthetic thread so you can end up with the colour remaining in the stitching which will show up in areas like the fly and any overstiching so take this into consideration if you're thinking of this for show wear - dark green or brown stitching can look quite posh but fluoro orange would only be ok for casual riding\lessons.

doesn't work on stickybum ones though. my mum dyed mine pink a couple of years ago, and the stickybum bit is still pink, although we got the colour out of the rest of it. when i wear them (relegated to yard wear now) i look like i've got the bum cut out!
i'm sure dylon was one of the things she tried.

err no I wouldn't expect dyes or dye removers to work well on leather (which is what the sticky bum bits are) ...

It must shorten the life of the material though, especially with jods high in man-made fibres.
...because.... dye makes material last longer.....?;) I know what you mean, but it's doesn't seem to be a very harsh or acidic process - more like an enzyme soaker that you wash your clothes in, haven't noticed the difference in anything I've done this on before, wearing them probably has more affect on the lifespan than removing the colour. Anyway just a suggestion for saving a few bikkies... :)

Last edited:
And how will invalidating any warranty, rotting stitching, etc. save you money exactly? Dyes do not shorten the life of fabrics, but changing their colour will. False economy.

Maybe you try the same stuff on your best saddle...let me know how it turns out as I do enjoy a bit of schadenfreude :p

Es - that's interesting, all the sticky bums here use chamois - (shamee as we call it locally) chamois leather - its a soft sort of furry\spongy leather that comes from the Chamois and used to be used for car cleaning cloths, so its not like the leather on your saddle or whatever but it is still leather. :)

Last edited:
Consumer protection laws automatically give you protection against defective goods, even if bought in a sale. So, if after a month the stitching comes undone, you could exchange or get a refund. If you had bleached them white though, you wouldn't have the proverbial leg to stand on.

Unless you are some sort of expert on fabrics and dyes telling me that drastically changing their colour does not damage/age them, I will not believe it.

If I want cream jods, I buy them in cream. If I want black ones, I buy them in black. Not vica versa!

newrider.com