Creaky joints

clipclop

Jan 13, 2002
UK
Visit site
My mare has creaky joints you can here them when she walks about in her stable, when I ride her however you can not here them, and she works well. She is 14 are creaky joints a sign of arthritis?

I can't help you for sure, but I can offer my advice. Creaky joints might mean that she is beginning to get arthritis. Is she drinking enough, because in humans, when you're dehydrated, your joints crack. If it is arthritis, glucostamine supplements work wonders! (on horses, dogs, humans, etc!)

Maci :)

Are you sure it's her joints?

as well as Maci's recommendation, cider vinegar and codlivine supplements are also good for aging horses who aren't as supple as they used to be!

It might be worth having her checked out properly, just in case.

I will mention it to the vet on his next visit. She has always been a little stiff on her hind legs in the morning, but this varies.
( when she has her saddle or bridle on for work she crawls out of the stable, however if she has her turnout rug on she springs out of the stable like a new born lamb) Shes not daft. But her bones somewhere in her back end creak as she walks. I don't mean a clicking noise just creaky like my husbands when he is walking up the stairs.

I have fed her cod liver oil for the last 4 years, but i have read about cider vinegarand am now giving that a try instead.

I would probably say it's the beginnings of arthritis, probably she's having chronic arthritis stiffness which would make sense with the creaky joints and them happening in the morning, before she gets exercise, ie. movement. At 14, no she's not that old but arthritis can very often show up in even 10-year old horses. I would call your vet (your ahead of me since you said you were going to talk to him) and ask him to check her out and see what he thinks. Then you can discover the wonderful and vast world of joint supplements if you so desire.

Hi

My(shared) 20 year old CB has the same thing in her shoulders.She has Glucostamine in her feed and you would never know she had arthritis (accept down hill) she can beat all the younger horses we hack with.:p :) :p

My TB 11yr old gelding has exactly the same symptoms. When he moves off or turns but not when ridden.

I have tried supplements but nothing seems to make it go away. I have been told that some horses are just creaky, but I am not sure this is the case. However I am at a loss as to what the cause may be and obviously worry it is arthritis related. I have asked my vet and she cant see any early signs of arthritis so maybe I am just worrying over a naturally creaky horse?:(

newrider.com