crash course in cantering needed.......

cassiebird

Jul 4, 2009
hertfordshire
not literally of course:frown: Went on a 2 hour hack on cass earlier round a completely new route. We had the scariest horse eating sign which caused her to turn and run.....not something she has ever done before, i managed to stay on, just:poop: A bit further along on the hack we were having a lovely trot when the others asked if we wanted to canter......now i havent cantered since i was 12 (now40!), so despite them saying it was like riding a bike it didnt quite go like they planned. First of all she trotted sooooo fast which was fantastic, we then did a very sudden leap into canter......she hasnt cantered in a very long time and never with a rider......so off we went, she was fantastic and i was crap:cry: I lost both my stirrups as we overtook both the other horses, i had no brakes, was holding onto her mane in a very undignified fashion:cry: We eventually did stop but only because she wanted to and not because I had any control. She difinately looked after me as she could very easily have dumped me..........
Now I have to learn how to canter by Sunday as i am going on a sponsored ride....the plan was walk and trot but im not so sure i can guarantee canter doesnt happen:giggle: I also need a body protector....sharpish

Whilst it was an eventful hack i still came back smiling, no real harm done but boy am i going to ache tomorrow!

Any tips greatly appreciated:smile:

Well done for staying on !!

When I was first learning to canter, and had a similar experience to you (out on a hack, lost stirrups etc), I used to chant this mantra "heels down, lean back, heels down, lean back" ! Sounds a bit daft, :biggrin: but I found that repeating this in rhythm to the horse really made me concentrate, and once I did start flexing my ankles down with every stride and consciously sitting with a straight back and my shoulders back (almost felt like I was leaning back rather than sitting up straight), it all went so much more smoothly. The general problems often, in canter, are legs going up and leaning forward, so hopefully this will help go some way to fixing them, which will help you have more control, make it easier to sit to, more enjoyable etc. Not sure I've described it very well, but if definitely worked for me. :smile:

Wow check you out!! That sounds like a very fast canter, I'm sure the next one won't be like that as Cas shouldn't be so excited!

You will get hooked soon enough!!

Yeah well done for hanging on in there, lol.

I find if the Horse I am on is going slightly faster than I wanted if I COUNT in my head to the rhythm I am looking for and sit 'deeper' it seems to slow them down:wink: Don't ask me WHY it works but it does, also whilst concentrating on the 'rhythm' I am looking for whilst counting, it seems to stop me 'gripping up'.

Not easy when you are overtaking everybody though:biggrin:

newrider.com