Couldn't sit to canter on a hack yesterday

kiwigirl

Jan 27, 2007
Auckland, New Zealand
Yesterday I went on a ride that involved (what felt like) some very fast canters up hill. The guide didn't want to canter on the flat as she was worried the horses would really race :eek:

Anyway I was quite surprised that I couldn't sit to my horses canter and had to adopt a 2-point position. Thinking about this today I guess this would be better for the horse going up a hill???

But what is bothering me should you be able to sit to a canter at any speed?

rtk

Aug 6, 2007
Are you sure they were fast canters, if the horse was actually galloping its easier not to try to sit. Gallop is ridden in a completely different position to canter, I'm hopeless at explaining, best to ask your instructor.

KateWooten

Sep 28, 2005
TN
I don't think I ever sit a fast canter. THere's not a lot of point, really - it's hard on the horse's back, you get in their way - I think if you have a good stable 2-point, then you're absorbing a huge amount of the motion in your ankles and the bend in your knee. Personally, I think you're much better able to absorb a big fast spook in a good 2-point.

Joyscarer

Dec 30, 2006
Hampshire
One of my problems with cantering Joy in the school is that when out hacking I always go to 2 point. She has a lot of movement through her back and I am not flexible enough through mine. In the sand school sitting to canter on Joy just feels wrong :eek: I don't have this problem with other horses that are better balanced with a less powerful extravagent movement.

I'm of the opinion that on a hack you do what works and is effective. You don't have to be pretty or technically correct just in control and safe ;)

Y

Yann

I automatically go into a forward seat cantering out on hacks, easier for me and the horse :)

Meovcorz

Mar 5, 2007
Queensland, Australia
Funny you are all saying that you like going into 2-point position up hills, fast canters or gallops, I use to do the same thing (I still do a little bit), but for some unknown reason whenever I go into 2 point in canter it seems to really unseat me (I mean it throws me out of the saddle then I grip, so I have just been going to sitting the canter, which I find easy, I think this is because my lower leg (recently) slides back. Would that be why? Also it could be because I have grown scared of standing up, because Blue (at first - he doesn't do it any more) would take off when I stood up, so maybe I am really nervous, and my legs are shaking and can't support me, well basically I am scared of canter.

Kiwigirl, it is easier on a horse if you go into 2 point up a hill, because you are taking the weight of their spine thus making it easier for them to complete there job.

Sorry Kiwigirl for taking this thread for my problem.

Ruskii

Jun 21, 2000
UK
I automatically go into a forward seat cantering out on hacks, easier for me and the horse :)

I always have done as well, although I havent cantered in a LONG time, but when I was riding regularly before nearly everyone I know goes into a forward seat when out on a hack :)

Sammii

Oct 24, 2005
I tend to do more damage in 2-point because i haven't quite mastered the art of a balanced one yet so opt to stay in a slower canter that I can sit comfortably to and that'll be nicer for Red!

RockChick2007

Lindsay "N" Bangle
Jun 16, 2007
South Yorkshire
Hi there

I always go into a forward seat when cantering on hacks its more comfy in my opinion and I always find that my horse has a faster canter on hacks than she does in the school. I have no trouble staying in balance with her when she spooks and im in the forward seat either

lindsay