Could someone help me with jumping/hunter riding?

winterbalto

Oct 2, 2004
Lisle, IL
Visit site
Ok, so my whole mini riding history (1 1/2 years) has consisted of general english and some dressage (not much!). So what I'm used to when it comes to riding is sitting up straight, having long stirrups, and hands a couple inches about the withers thumbs up. I've recently bought my first horse (yippy!) and have also started working for a lady in exchange for riding her appendix and thoroughbred (yippy!). Anywho, she's a hunter/jumper rider and I've taken her throughbred and my horsey over a foot (is that even considered a jump?). I'm really kindof at a lost when it comes to position over the jump and before the jump and after the jump. I really need help on timing! Can someone help me on this? I mean I know how to two-point but I would like to hear details as to the degree of the two-point along with how certain body parts are supposed to be.

I guess another problem that I have is that the first jumps I EVER jumped was back in the summer when I jumped the horse I was leasing (the same horse I own now) out on trails in the woods. I rode mostly bareback so that's how I jumped. I started with only a foot and then got up to a little over 2 feet. So I guess I have to get used to jumping in a saddle.

I really would like to be in a competition so I would like to know what is the difference between a jumper competition versus a hunter competition?

~Nicole

For the jumping advice, I'd strongly suggest taking a few lessons or at least having a knowledgeable friend take a look and offer some feedback. However well things are explained, it's never the same as having someone on the ground who can see exactly what you are doing (or not doing).

I can help with the latter question, however, regarding classes. Hunters are show classes that judge the horse. Hunt seat equitation are judged classes based on the riders. Jumpers are competitive classes where the winner is the horse and rider team with the clearest round in the fastest time.

People often prefer equitation or hunter classes (rather than jumpers) for starting inexperienced horses or riders, since they reward the types of rounds that build rideability and confidence.

I agree, it's impossible to advise on jumping position at this level over the net.
I strongly advise you to take some lessons sooner rather than later. Perhaps even stop jumping until you've seen an instructor.
I don't mean that to sound negative :) but with your level of current knowledge you could end up hurting yourself or the horse's mouth whilst jumping (it's easy enough to do even when you've been jumping for years).
Get some lessons booked and I'm sure you'll have it sussed in no time!

As for the 1ft jumps -don't knock them! The formula for jumping any height of showjump is the same no matter what size it is. :)
But for both your sake and the horse's, get some jumping lessons before attempting anymore of them.
Good luck!

xxx

I too would recomend lessons, it's too hard to teach position online. For classes you would problem start out in 2ft hunter over fences, or possibly a crossrail class if the show has them. Jumper classes are good if you have a horse that jumps fast and clean and you can ride it smooth.

newrider.com