could a dog cage be converted to be guinea pig safe?

minkersmum

Aug 4, 2009
Scotland
Ok im thinking of getting a little guinea pig from the rescue place by us. I have been looking for a big cage for it as it will live inside. I have a large dog cage that i bought for my great dane as a puppy. The gaps are maybe too wide, certainly at the moment as its just a baby but could i convert it with mesh somehow. Seems a waste otherwise as cost over £100.

I know i would prefer two but there were 5 in the litter and she got 2 sets of 2 rehomed and this little guy left on his own.

Because he is male i would worry about getting another stranger male incase they would fight. My cousin bought a 2nd guinea pig and the original one wouldnt accept it and ended up with 2 cages, 2 seperate guinea pigs. I am struggling to squeeze one large cage into my tiny 2 bed cottage already housing 2 large adults, 3 kids and a dog.

Though i would keep him in our lounge so he'll have lots of human company although i know that is not the same.

Feel bad now, but he is the only guinea pig in a pen of rabbits at the moment.

My rabbit lives in a dog crate in my lounge - used to be two but the other one died. She seems happy enough though - I put her out in the garden during the day and then she is loose in the house for a couple of hours til I go to bed tho so she only really sleeps in there but she seems to like it.

I have successfully had male guinea pigs of different ages bond well, i find it's all down to personality, if you new piggy is laid back, you get another laid back boy to keep the peace, if you have a dominant one, getting a male who's submissive and won't challenge the other, allows the other to not feel threatened, and they generally get on quite well..
I have two males who constantly hump each other, never fight, just 'hump'.. quite a show when they're out:giggle:
I also find Peruvians are pretty laid back, both the piggies i've had took day to day life in their stride..
Abby's.. well they're wired:giggle:
Smooth coats.. I've had allsorts.. down right bad tempered :devil: to real softies:wub: I put them in the 'grey' area as I found their personalities really varied:balanced:

newrider.com