Coughing when trotting

Laura2184

Mar 1, 2005
Cheshire
www.cheshiretackroom.co.uk
Over the last couple of weeks everytime I trot my horse when ridden or when loose schooling him he coughs, he doesn't do it in walk or canter, just after trotting and it can start after only a couple of strides. It isn't a prolonged cough, just a couple but he coughs quite hard.

He has never suffered from a cough before, is living out at the moment but comes in for a few hours each day to give him a break from the grass.

He is fed a small handful of hi fi lite to put his apple cider vinegar, naff general supplement and magnesium in.

Has anyone ever experienced this? He doesn't seem to have any other symptoms?! :confused:

Does he get hay? You could try soaking it and how is the school surface? Dry/dusty? We have a pony at the yard with an appalling cough who needs soaked hay and my TB loan used to do distraction technique coughing-she was checked, nothing wrong, just did it if you wanted her to do something she didn't!

My pony does this too, i've tried soaking his hay and it doesn't make any difference what so ever. I think it's a bit ironic how ponies start to cough when they have to do a bit of work :rolleyes:so would be interested to see the replies.

Our pony does this - he has a mild dust allergy and our vet says its just natures way of coughing up some flem (nice) - just as we would if we jogged - he did check our boy and its in his upper respiratory tract - just we keep an eye on it - feed hay soaked and off the ground now

I wouldn't get the vet out for it - but if you know the vet is coming or you have him up for another reason - I'd get him just to check it

If it gets worse then I'd get the vet out

Is it just a couple of coughs then he is ok?
If so it is probably just natures way of clearing the two or three foot of pipework between the nostrils and the lungs.

If the cough is countinuous get the vet to have a look, otherwise I would not worry too much.

Agree with Snowyboy and Flingleblunt - he's clearing his pipes! It's more common this time of year cos the the pollen count can make them a bit congested. In fact, when one of my horses did this the vet said to make sure I give him a good blast everyday to really clear him through :)

Thanks guys, you have reassured me! It has only just started happening, it's just a couple of coughs then he is fine. I reckon it is just the pollen at this time of year.

I shall keep an eye on it but not worry too much unless it really persists.

Thanks!

my old pony used to cough going into trot for the first time on your ride.

it was just him, hed yank forwards quite hard to see what he could get away with then be absolutely fine.

they're sneaky little buggers :p

Horses have much larger lungs than humans and the air has to travel a lot further to reach them. A lot of dust is inhaled and this must be removed before it isw drawn deep into the lungs.

As in humans this is done by a layer of mucous that lines the airways and the dust sticks to it. The mucous is then carried back to the mouth and nostrils by the movement of thousands of cillary hairs that line the airways. The coughing immediately before any excersion where the respireation is about to increase is a defense against any excess mucous being sucked back into the lungs. We all do it .... that little cough to clear our throats if we are about to talk loudly or about to exert ourselves. Usually we do not notice it.

Mine does this too, first lap of trot in the school, quite violent, head flung down usually one cough maybe 2, 3 snorts and off he goes again with no more coughing. He is fed haylage and is on straw. He went out to 24hr turn out on Saturday and hasn't coughed since. I think as others have said its a mild dust allergy and I wouldn't be too worried. :)

Thansk everyone, I rode him last night, he was fine in walk and then we did a couple of strides of trot and it started him off coughing, it really is quite a violent cough. Normally he does just a few and then stops but he continued coughing all the way home!

We had a thought that maybe the buttercups in his field may have something to do with it? The buttercups have gone mad this year and they have been there about the same time as the coughing. Do you think that as he has his head in the grass (and buttercups) all day long that the pollen from them is causing the allergy?..

Only thing I can suggest is to keep him away from the field for a couple of days and soak his hay when he is in.

If the cough continues it may be a good idea to get the vet to take a look. If this is more than just a cough or two when warming up then it may be an allergic reaction or something else. Either way your vet can prescibe medication to help him.

As a rule if excersise is bringing on a continuous cough then avoid the excersise until the problem has been identified. All the same, don't worry, there may be a bit of a problem but it might well be something trivial as the buttercups you mention. Do let us know how you get on.

I'm having exactly the same problem with my mare! & shes living out so its definitely not wetting hay with her.
We've got a lot of buttercups too & we have a sand/rubber menage so i think this could be a problem too.
If you find out a way to help him please let me know :) its awful & i feel so sorry for them!
Hope you get it sorted soon :D

I went to a 'How to deal with the equine emergency' day at Somerford Park where our vets are based at the weekend and I spoke to the vet about it. He has given me some Sputolosin powder which is to help bring the mucus up.

Im going to try for 5 days and if no luck, get the vet out :rolleyes:

newrider.com