cough

horseyxcrazy

Aug 26, 2007
South Wales
my horse has just got overa resp infection about month ago and i rode her yesterday for 1st time in 2months. i do soak her hay over night and she stil does cough, i only walked her around as she was a bit still an she was coughing and felt like her breathing was quickening, i gave her a little trot and she got out of breath and was streching her neck down alot and coughing. she then had nasal discharger which was creamy white.
is this normal after an infection an she is just clearing her airways and bringing the mucas up or should i phone the vet again?

sorry its a bit long. thanks

is it only when ridden your horse is coughing now?
if at all worried ring the vet for advice thats what their there for. next time you ride i would stick to a walk and see how she goes and go from there. also if she hasnt been ridden for 2 months she will obviously not be fit so again i would just build her work load gradually:)

:)what about trying haylage? i no its not cheap but might make a difference. also a few companies now do respiratory supplements. also look at her bedding if stabled. perhaps there is still some infection lurking so might be worth giving the vet tinkle! hope she stops soon x x x

Rosie has COPD or RAD as it is now known. It sounds the same. I had to keep her off work once but when she was back in work, she used to cough stuff up but the vet reassured me that she was only clearing her airways. Check the colour of any mucus that comes up - it needs to be clear - white not yellow - green x

the mucas is white. she is on shavings. i was thinking about putting her on to haylage. just weight gain aswell she is fat enough already lol
x

Rosie is on shavings with one small net of soaked hay at night and another small net of high fibre horsehage which has proved to be fine as it is dust free - a bit like haylage but high fibre being that rosie has not put on weight with it. At the moment it is also working out more economical than hay too. Howvever, givem the choice, I am sure she would rather have dry hay than anything else!!!!! Dont worry too much - R coughs more at times than others. A good long hack in walk with a little trot and plenty of turnout seems to do the trick

Try feeding from a haybar or bucket, that way... dust doesn't fall down the nasal passages and throat when eating, its natural position, and none will be wasted.

Thats if you feed from a haynet obviousley.
Tbh, the nasal discharge would be a cause for concern, for me.
x

i have ordered a hay bar and should be delivered this week coming. i will ride tomorrow and if she is still coughing and weezing then i will phone the vet on monday.

newrider.com