Cough and Dribbly Nose

NoviceNic

Sexy Dressage Pony
May 7, 2003
On my horses back...
Visit site
Whilst riding this week I have noticed Captain has a cough. Usually when we start to trot. He also has started with a dribbly nose. No colour to the discharge and really not an amount to be too worried about yet. I just wondered if there was anything I can do now to stop any more serious symptons progressing. He is coming in everynight on shaving covered concrete floor. His hay is wet as it is stored outside and with all this rain is getting a good covering of water. Not rugged cause he still has a very thick moulting Winter coat.

When my daughters pony had a nasty cough one Summer we bought Kof Eze. Just a black liquorish liquid that seemed to do the trick...

Any ideas? Or am I ok not to worry too much.:)

i think your right in not worrying to much unless the discharge becomes thinker or greenish/yellow.

may just be a virus that wil clear by its self, i use that kof-eze and have found it helpful - if it does not clear in a couple of days or gets worse may be an antibiotcs job is there is a low grade infection.

maybe just keep a daily check on his temperature

good luck x

Hi my mare is the same at the mo was fine over winter but over the last few months shes started having a little cough when we`re warming her up and she also has a clear watery runny nose,a few people have said its prob hayfever,i would keep an eye on it for now as if shes eating and seems ok in herself i wouldnt worry just yet. :p

Could be pollen, Lily gets hayfever.

Just watch the hay if it's stored outside, if it is getting wet it will get mould spores and that will make him cough.

Might be worth soaking it thoroughly whilst he's coughing (I soak ours a minimum of 15 mins)

newrider.com