cost of livery

minkersmum

Aug 4, 2009
Scotland
what do you think is a better deal.

option A. most basic livery at my RS (big busy yard )with stable includes
rugs taken off and put on once a day.
economical use of straw
3 feeds fed by farm staff but provided and prepared at my expense.
Haylage in winter fed by staff at farms expense.
horse turned out/brought in once per day by staff
use of indoor and outdoor schools and jumps when available (quite a busy place so not sure how much use you would actually get altho could be wrong)
Permission to use recognised riding routes on farm
Storage for basic tack and feed.
Think you have to be off yard around 8pm
loose box with water drinker
£45.50 per week for pony £56.15 for horse

Option B. DIY livery at small yard in same area with stable

New purpose built stable block (nicer i think as horses can all see each other )
Use of jumping/schooling paddock
Only 6 stables in total
Can come and go whenever you please time wise
Same price for horse or pony
£25 per week

Would be my first horse/pony so no idea about cost of haylage bedding etc so not sure which is best option. And very close proximity so would be able to hack to riding school for lesson if was at other yard. Would hopefully be buying a hairy native type if this is helpful.

Thanks

If it was me I would go for option B.

However as you are a first time owner I would start at option A. you will have lots of back up and advice if needed. When we got our first pony we were at a RS yard and found the support invaluable.

Years later I prefer a quieter yard where you're left to get on with it!!

Good luck with whatever you decide.

I would tend to go with option b if you would like to just be left to get on with it.
Option A will be ok if you think you will require other peoples advice and help more.

But like you have said there is 6 stables with option B so u will have the people with there horses there if you require help which im sure they will.

newrider.com