Cost of field

HelenVF

Jun 29, 2010
Lancashire
I am hoping to own my own Fell Pony (going to get a shetland as a companion as well) next year and starting to think about costs and details of it happening. Anyway, we live in a very rural area and are surrounded by farms. We are very friendly with both neighbouring farmers. The ground is rough pasture, and moorland.

Before I approach the farmer about finding somewhere to keep 2 ponies, what is the going rate? There is also a barn, which we currently use for storage, and is empty, apart from that. Every time we ask if we can put something somewhere, he says use that barn (he said to put our turkeys in there, but we decided against it as we decided we wanted them to be free range). Have had a look at it looks suitable to convert into a loose box and tack room. Any ideas how much that should cost? The actual renting of the barn?

I want an idea of figures before I take it any further as I have no idea whatsoever what the going rate would be.

Thanks
Helen

well, we rent just over 5 acres, with a stable block (2 HUGE stables, tack and feed room and open store) with water and electrics laid on. We are about £160 a month for that (£80 per horse). my friend rented an acre with 2 stables and a tack room for £150 a month.

I briefly looked into the costs of internal stabling as we've a nearby farmer who has a vacant barn. For the stables it was going to be a couple of hundred pounds for the facings, excluding delivery.

You've also got to consider sourcing hay suppliers, feed suppliers, farrier (many in my area are ultra fussy and won't visit if you don't have concrete or outside lighting).

Some farmers will not rent land because they too sublet it from other sources. It's often more fruitful to approach the main landowner, at least that was my experience! we sublet from a main landowner.

If this is your first pony i'd consider going to livery first. I'm happy on a yard on my own because 15 years of yard politics did my head in. I also don't need the company of other people. But i know many who get cabin fever and don't like being alone.

Thanks for that. My husband works for the landowner but don't want to go over the head of the farmer. He is looking into the barn to see who it does really belong to though. It certainly gives me a figure to work towards.

I really would prefer to keep them here, and don't think I would get cabin fever. I think it would be so much easier, regarding time etc, to keep them here. Has anyone else had their first horse/pony at home? Am I being unrealistic?

I certainly hadn't considered about the farrier. Will have to see what there is around here and what they are prepared to do.

Thanks so much for your help eventerbabe, VERY much appreciated.

Helen

I went onto a friends land when I got my first horse. It didn't suit me and I realised that thanks to my open mind I was more open to there being issues and prevention so I soon realised I knew as much as she did. I then rented my own land after 8 months - should have been sooner.

I too don't like people and prefer to keep myself to myself and be anti-social.

My tip is to ask in local tack shops etc and get an idea for how much things are in your area. Also try calling a few livery yards (even if you aren't considering a livery yard) and get talking to them about what they charge to get a feel for the prices in your area. In my area, finding grazing land is like looking for hens teeth. It is very rare to find and the prices reflect this. Talk to whoever you can you your area and get a feel for prices don't forget that a move 2 miles up the road can have an effect on prices too depending on where you are. It really is a localised market.

Thanks for all that advice, will have to get ringing, and I will have a chat with my RS, although, they are a little further away. They are in the same sort of area though (rough pasture and moorland, just the other side of the hill lol).

Helen

Agree with Joyscarer that in the South East land costs an arm and a leg.

I rent a field, part of a bigger piece of land opposite my house :smile:. It's about 4 acres. I have to look after the fences myself, there is no power and water and I bought my own shelter.

This is £100 a month and I am happy to get it!

I pay £700 ayear for 3acres, but no water or electric and I had the shelter built. Up to me to do maintenance also, and I have to have them insured as there is a footpath in field.

also, make sure you get a contract. we have a contract stipulating who does what, i.e. we are responsible for the maintenance of the grass and land. The landowner is responsible for fencing, buildings maintenance, buildings insurance and the utilities. Our landowners include the cost of water/leccy in the rent. it also stipulates termination periods on either side and the monthly rent.

Agree with Joyscarer that in the South East land costs an arm and a leg.

I rent a field, part of a bigger piece of land opposite my house :smile:. It's about 4 acres. I have to look after the fences myself, there is no power and water and I bought my own shelter.

This is £100 a month and I am happy to get it!

That's still cheap. I rent out a 4-5 acre field which has a shed, shelter, auto troughs but no tap or power and no hardstanding (literally just a field) and that's £200pcm and those that rent HAVE to have it harrowed, rolled, topped and look after fencing all at their own expense!

One grazing place in a bare field with no facilities is £65pcm

I'm in the SW, £50 per month for 3 acres, just water on site, but field is down a private road, with lots of natural shelter.

Was going to move to bigger field for same price but daughter likes it where we are.

I had my first horse at livery over the first winter which turned out to be a very good idea. We only did it as OH kept moving the dates for building stables and fencing the field back every time we discussed it so I lost patience! It turned it to be very helpful as I had the support of other owners and I went to a yard that a friend kept her at too. There were a few other new owners there too so I didn't feel stupid asking too many questions. Having a school was good too as it halped me and September train together and get used to each other without any hazards. I got my 2nd one while I was still there and again, having a school for the first month or two really helped. When I got Jet my YO offered me grazing livery only as there wasn't a stable for Jet really and it was only temporary until we moved home (early summer too) She charged me £30/wk for the two for about 1.5 acres but thats incl all maintanence and the use of the school etc. A farmer nearby does summer grazing for £10/week/horse. Good luck with your new fell!

I'm in the SE and it's £300 a month for 25 acres (21 probably of which are grass and a little wood the horses like to hide in). We are sandwiched between a main road and a railway line so there are good boundary fencing but we have to maintain the field ourselves - any fencing inside and ragworting etc, and any spraying/work we want is charged by the farmer. It has water but we have put our own stables and storage on it..

newrider.com