Cost of big bale hay?

No idea just yet, am dreading it though, bedding has doubled in price since last winter too!

We have just been charged £50 for a big bale, were paying £40, and it isn't even as good quality as the stuff we had prevoiusly

I do find it varies from bale to bale - different fields, different part of the same field, cut in different weather etc - and sometimes what doesn't look as nice to me is eaten with great enthusiasm.

Unfortunately if that's the local price for hay then that's what you're stuck with unless you can find a different supplier who has enough to do you the winter.

I’m paying £35 for a 4ft6in round or £55 for a hesston, they’re both delivered prices, but really good mates rates, most around here are £40-50 for 4ft rounds and £60-90 for hesstons.

The last time I tried to obtain hay up here, my ex-source sold me tiny bales at £9.50 each. He then demanded an extra pound per bale when he delivered it. It was nice stuff, but I couldn't afford to keep getting it from him. I think he was taking the pee personally. I spoke to a few locals and they just rolled their eyes when I told them the price. Hence moving onto home made hayledge or bagged (Even Horsehage works out cheaper than the rogue that was supplying me).

We now use square bales as they are easier for us to store. When setting up for this winter we paid £6.00 for locally produced and about £7.50 a bale for the imported stuff. The supplier was talking about £8+ for future supplies. The last time we bought a big bale, some 3/4 years ago, it was £70.

I pay per week for hay but my last place was £40 for a bale of nice wrapped hay. A bale was lasting me 5/6 weeks with one horse

I've not paid under £50 for a long time. I'm paying £65 at the moment for very average quality hay.

newrider.com