Cortaflex vs NAF Superflex vs Feelgood30

bexj

May 8, 2002
Penistone
www.mollycob.blogspot.com
I'm shopping for a joint supplement, and would appreciate some thoughts on the above products. Horse has mild arthritis (we think - as yet not definite diagnosis), she is rideable, and under a course of bute from the vet, pending nerve block tests. He has recommended getting a supplement to help her along too.

I would appreciate it if you could share your thoughts on any of the below, or, any other supplement that might be available in the UK

1. Cortaflex - for some reason, and I can't remember why, my YO doesn't rate this. Doesn't contain glucosamine or chondroitin - something to do with the ability to absorb these products

2. NAF Five Star Superflex - contains MSM, Glucosamine and Chondroitin

3. Feelgood 30 Joint + relief supplement - contains boswellia, devils claw, glucosamine, msm and grapeseed extract.

Thank you:)

Hi Bex, I put Cherry on NAF 5*Superflex not long after I bought her when she was still only allowed to walk and trot. I bought it to help her healing and had a 4 month supply (BOGOF introductory offer ;) ) so it was only when it ran out, by which time we were doing more varied work, that I realised how well she had been on it. So, I decided to invest in the "best" stuff and bought her a tub of Cortaflex. However, I didn't feel that she did as well on that as she had done on the Superflex. Sadly by the time the Cortaflex ran out, so had my finances :eek: so I then tried her on Gold Label's Glucosamine 5000 and I have to say that she does well on this. Not as good as the Superflex but certainly better than the Cortaflex.

Now there is always the possibility that she has deteriorated since I first used the Superflex and wouldn't get such a great result now anyway, but I can't afford to try!!!

All the best with Molly. Out of interest, does your vet recommend any particular supplement? (probably Synequin but that's BIG dosh!!!)

I've tried Cortaflex & Newmarket Joint Supplement (recommended by my vet). The NJS didn't have any noticable effect so I went with a friend's recommendation & tried Cortaflex - I saw a noticable result within days & after a week my teacher was also commenting on how much better he was moving.

I've heard good things about Superflex but haven't tried it myself - for some reason Jim often seems to dislike the taste of NAF products :confused:

I've heard good things about Superflex but haven't tried it myself - for some reason Jim often seems to dislike the taste of NAF products :confused:

NAF products always seem a rip off as the superflex is cheaper but you have to feed more and once I bought the Naff garlic granules and the tub was only half full and lasted about 1 week

J is on cortaflex... i only noticed it how he helped him when i ran out. he became much stiffer on his hinds.

although it is expensive it does seem to last a while - a £50 tub lasts me 2-3 months and i feed him 2 level scoops a day (twice the maintenence level - due to his size)

1. Cortaflex - for some reason, and I can't remember why, my YO doesn't rate this. Doesn't contain glucosamine or chondroitin - something to do with the ability to absorb these products

hi bexj, I think cortaflex is excellent, i have had 2 horses on it with brilliant results. cortaflex has a substance called hyaluronic acid in it which actually makes it easier for the horse to absorb the glucosamine and chondroitin.
I know that pure glucosamine is harder for the horse to absorb because the particles are bigger- maybe this is what your yard owner meant?

best of luck, hope you find something that works! :)

when i first got kaiser he clicked all the time, everytime he moved i would hear the clicking, he is young though so joints developing etc, so i put him on cortaflex and the clicking has stopped.
i give it to the dog as well and if i miss it for a couple of days i can then start to hear him cracking when he stretches.

i recommend it.

Superflex all the way :D

My husbands gelding has been on it for awhile and it certainly helps with his hocks as he has a touch of arthritis in them, I also have my two dogs on Superflex and they are never lame ;)

newrider.com