Correct leg position

Keket

Jan 26, 2004
I just started Western (tomorrow is my third lesson), and I'm having a problem with my leg position. I know that my leg should be by the cinch, but I can't seem to keep it there. I'm fine at a walk and at a lope, but at the jog, my leg keeps coming forward. Can anyone give me any tips on how to keep it where it should be?

yea that is good advice also keep upper body position the same and just foucus on doing the same things at the jog as the walk and lope. heals heals heals just keep working at it , it will come with time(not overnight) man i wish things would LOL. Good luck

have you ridden before and are trying a new discipline, or is this your third riding lesson ?

Personally I find western saddles quite wide - probably because they tend to be on wide-built horses :D

So you may find that you need to think about opening and relaxing your hip joint, which will allow you to lengthen and deepen your leg.

(I also have Heather Moffett seatbone saver on my saddle - she does one in western style - and it makes life a lot more comfy).

newrider.com