Correct bit for Showing a Welsh D (Ridden)

Crazy Mare

Sep 9, 2005
Yorkshire
I have been told that a Welsh Section D should be shown in a Pelham with two reins for ridden classes (M&M or Ridden Section D).

Is this correct?

Thanks,

CM

cobs tend to have small mouths and not enough room for a bridoon and weymouth combination.
also doubles (or even extra sliphead on rugby pelham) clutter the head, which especially ponies cant carry off aswell :)

we use a double bridle on my C gelding, but its a fine bridle and he can carry it off- they seem to have come into fashion again tbh ;)

cobs tend to have small mouths and not enough room for a bridoon and weymouth combination.
also doubles (or even extra sliphead on rugby pelham) clutter the head, which especially ponies cant carry off aswell :)

we use a double bridle on my C gelding, but its a fine bridle and he can carry it off- they seem to have come into fashion again tbh ;)

Thanks for answering LL:)

If she goes well in a snaffle, that is perfectly acceptable in local M&M classes

I'd rather see a pony who goes nice & round in a snaffle than held in with a pelham :) (unless obviosuly you're talking open classes affiliate where you will need a pelham really)

Pelham does help create a lovely picture if used properly though :)

no, anyone can go in the open section.

criteria for novice classes is either, not won a class, not winning 3 class, not winning over £10 prize money in the current season, which is a bit of a farce.
usually, the people worth competing against (EG. not pot hunters) wont enter the novice classes after the horses first season (providing it has done well, if it hasnt then they wil enter both for experience :))

Ahh I see! well its just that I find it a lot easier to soften my horse in something with poll action such as a pelham/gag/double bridle. He has never used his back properly (8 years old) and its proving quite difficult to persuade him sometimes!
So thankyou very much for sharing some of your vast knowledge about showing with us all! :D
(And sorry to OP for hijacking your thread! :eek::p)

IMG_2405-1.jpg

i Use a striaght bar snaffle which sion goes nicely in any ridden class.

enter both if the show runs both, its good ring time and gives you practise against good horses, but not yet seasoned professionals.

i really need to find example schedules dont i!

NPS offers a large range of classes for the same 'type'- this is the schedule for the summer show (scroll to bottom and click schedule)

so you get your junior classes (upto 18 depending on small or large breed) with novice and open sections
then and also any age novice and open classes (which juniors are also allowed to enter)

some shows also offer classes for home produced ponies (novice and open again)

My sec D will absolutely not go in a pelham, it's impossible to do even a lap of the ring in one, safely at least.

I use either a double bridle or a snaffle.

newrider.com