cooking?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

S

squid_is_ace

some one told me that you can put cooking oil in there feed and it makes there joints better is that true or not

You can put SMALL amounts of vegetable oil in your horses feed. I don't think it has any effect on their joints, but some people do. What I do think it does is help horses which are poor doers put on some condition and it can also make them have a lovely shiny coat.

My three get a tablespoon of cod liver oil a day, and under all that mud are lovely shiny coats. I think it does halp with joints a bit - Two of them are 20 and are very supple, Merlin still does fantastic lateral work and tried Spanish trot without being asked at the weekend :D

I use Veg oil all winter - helps to keep weight on my horse, give him controllable energy, seems to keep him supple and also helps his coat and hooves.

There was a post somewhere on this board about oils - can't remember where it was tho' !!

I've heard before that cod liver oil is good for joints, but I don't think vegetable oil is so good (guess!) I know super solvitax and N.A.F do formulas for joint problems.

I have a bit of a problem with cod liver oil! I don't think it's right to feed an animal/fish product to a vegetarian animal!! But that's just my view - I am sure that cod liver oil is very effective.
That's why I feed veg oil! It's always worked for me and my horse!

My horse is also very funny about anything added to his feed - so I play it safe!

i use codlivine supple joint, for my arthritic mare its great!!!
i use veggie oil as she is TBx and although we have fair bit of grass it gets fairly eaten and not great and veggie oil keeps her coat looking fantastic and the weight on!!!
i didn't know veggie oil keeps the joints well though!!!

i didn't find cider apple any good!

how much veggie oil should be put in??? i just squeeze it and properly about just under half a mug full comes out

do u really put that much in?? I thought that it would just be a splodge if u no wat i mean! I will try and put some in my horses feed and see if it makes a difference! Do you think that I should introduce it to her 1st or just wack it in?? :)

Oil is really good for weight gain or maintaining condition and is certainly good for shiny coats in the spring/summer. It is also really good for suppleness as everyone else has said.

Building up gradually from 1 tblsp to a cup full in a feed once a day. Can use vegetable, codliver or soya oil to name a few.

Hope this helps. Give it a go!:D

A 16hh TB can have up to a cup of vegetable oil in a 24 hour period - thats what we give ours.
It definitely gives them shiny coats but its main benefit is helping with digestion - particularly in older horses. I dont know how affective it is at making joints more supple but always though it helped :)

newrider.com