Considering Barefoot.......

bitsnpieces

Aug 22, 2007
I'm really considering going barefoot with Puzzle, she is finding it quite uncomfortable to be shod these days specifically when being nailed up.

So would really love to hear everyone's experiences of going barefoot, how it's affected your horse and the type of things you have to be careful of.

Frankie has never been shod. For me the thing to be most aware of is how much sugar/grass can affect their feet and to listen to the horse.

Frankie is super-sensitive and after lots of tweaking with supplements, muzzles, stabling etc is now managed on a bare paddock and fed hay and minimal grass and his feet are looking fab. He doesn't get any sugary treats, carrots etc. Other horses are no where near this sensitive.

Also, I've learnt to listen to Frank, if he wants to walk on the grass verges I let him, sometimes he seems happiest on grass other days he will stride out happily on most surfaces.

The UKNCHP forum is really helpful :)

I had madams shoe's off because she cast one and the farrier didnt have time to put more on.

As a result, it was unplanned and she came out very very sore - for 4-6weeks. I actually think she had lami but it was masked by the shoes.

Luckily for us it was autumn, so we went into winter, she wasnt working as I didnt have any tack - so come october (2-3months post BF) she was sound and out hacking.

Grass is a problem for us - little -no grass and she has fab feet and 110% sound over everything - too much and she is footy. Its about finding where the balance lies for the horse.

For us, she was lame in shoes (tripped a lot) and the soundness when barefoot is worth the sacrifices in managment. If I couldnt keep her restricted, she would have shoes on.

Sometimes shoes in summer and BF in winter is a good compromise.

Last year we managed without boots, this year we have needed boots a lot but I think thats more a stiffness thing - she bounces with boots and pads, seems to really help with concussion.

Acorn and Charlie we have had from yearlings and neither have been shod, despite Acorn gaving 2 lammi episodes.

Tess was shod fo about 15 years, when we semi retired her we took her shoes off for winter and never put them back on - 4 years ago now and she always had good feet but even better now and she stands up better unshod - she has no problem with any terrain/work surface so will be staying that way.

Is it possible she could be suffering with mild laminitis? That's one thing I've seen make horses struggle with nailing, the impact of the hammer blows hurt them.
If so taking the shoes off is likely to be a challenge as she'd probably be very footsore, you'd need to work hard to keep her comfortable and boots and pads would be a must. Diet is the biggest factor for many horses, if you are able to limit the amount of sugar and starch in the diet you stand a better chance of success.

My experiences are that it's the best way to keep a horse as sound and healthy as possible, but that it's also difficult and frustrating at times if you can't do enough for your particular horse in your particular circumstances. Boots can be great if that's the case, they can also be a royal PIA. I'd always keep a horse unshod and booted if necessary by preference, but there are times when they are better off shod, for the horse and the owner :)

Interesting reading.

I'm going down this route with my horse, and step one for me was having his backs off, but fronts still on as I still wanted to ride and can change my hacking route to suit us at each time.

Then as he has such dinner plate sized feet with feathers, Easyboot are supposed to be bring out a new boot soon that would fit our requirements and his hoof size.

This winter I'm going to have his fronts taken off, and see how we cope going into the spring with boots, as riding in the winter will be no problem as I can stick to shaded areas that aren't to muddy and will be soft for his feet. Plus the boots can be my brithday/Xmas present :biggrin:

Another attraction is because it would be cheaper as well in the long run.

Henry (my tb) is barefoot and summer can be a paid as he has to wear hoof boots but we have good well fitting boots that have yet to fall off! We've even done XC in them (note: Mary King is not impressing by barefoot horses!)

In the school, smooth tarmac and grass are no problems for him.

I never have to worry about lost shoes or risen nails or farrier being late and as an added bonus the ideal barefoot diet also happens to be a very ideal diet for those with sensitive tummies.

Henry was one of those tb's shod every 5 weeks and crippled if he lost a shoe but that adapted to barefoot rather well!

newrider.com