Confident Rider Audio CD

VickiN

Aug 6, 2002
Middx
Visit site
Has anyone tried these and do they work?

I'm a nervous hacker - where we are their isn't much hacking and what there is is over a busy motorway bridge but I don't have a problem with that - my problem is off road hacking - it all stems back to a sponsored ride where he bolted three times, 1st bolt I was completely inaffective, 2nd & 3rd were controlled to a small degree, so now I find myself turning into a full time dressage rider!!

In the school I'm a confident capable rider but take away the fences and confidence drains. I am going to book some private hacking lessons with a local riding school that will take me out over the common so hopefully that will help - but I was just wondering weather or not to give these tapes a go as I am ever the sceptic.....

Erm...I had a go at the Hacking with Confidence CD....hard to say whether it worked or not..I kept falling asleep!! The cd was so meditational and gentle that I kept just drifting off into snore land!

I have to say tho, had I not fallen asleep and used it more than I did, it may well have worked. I remembered the 'word' that you have to use (can't tell you any more about that as it would give the game away!) and found that it did help a little, even though I'd only used the CD successfully (ie without dropping off) about twice!

The way I look at it is confidence is sooo hard to get back that I'd give anything (within reason!) a go!

Sorry not much help, there will probably be others on here with better tales to tell!

S

I think if your worries are irrational, then methods like hypnosis, positive visualisation etc can be really helpful. I seem to be becoming a arena only rider focusing on dressage. I seem to come off whenever my 99% sensible mare spooks. something about her movement just seems to deck me. I've had her for just over 7 months and I've been off in each of her 4 spooks in that time. so sadly I've given hacking up as a bad job, at least for a while! There are other people who never hack apparantly :eek:

Oh yes, I meant to add - I decided to try to address it like you by booking a hacking lesson. It was a lovely ride, the instructor made a couple of small tweaks to my position during the hack. After about an hour we were on our way home having a lovely calm active trot - then there was a huge shy and I was off :( So endeth my lesson :eek:

Sorry these are not very optimistic replies :eek:

I am the complete opposite. Put me in a school and I freak out.
I was asked if I wanted to take Jas in the arena for our first ride and said no let's hack out. Accidents out always seem just par for the course.
I think this comes from concussion hitting the wall at canter and breaking my arms when my TB clipped a pole and joined the arial ballet!
Just do what you feel happy doing when you feel it.

just jas - strangely the only time I have been badly injured is an an arena. I hit a wall and broke my arm too. I think its just that there are so many more likely suprises on a hack, whereas if you are relatively competant and on a well mannered horse, the unexpected is rare in an arena (I think :eek: )

I would advise against those self hypnosis tapes. you'd be much better off going to someone with actual hypnosis training. they've never been shown to work.

you gain confidence through doing things successfully over and over again, not a tape. you just need to hack out on very reliable horses enough times to where you feel comfortable with it.

I think you are probably right - confidence comes with experience and is mostly a state of mind.

Funny enough the only time I have ever come off is in the school, never out hacking not even when he bolted it's the fear of being out of control, and as soon as these fears creep in I become an ineffective rider so it's really a vicious circle.

I do have a problem getting him to listen outside of the school, I often say he will walk straight into a tree one day as he is always nose poking but the good thing is he's not spooky as a rule even when he does see something it's just a funny little knee trembler that's over in a nano-second.

Well I'll give the riding school ago, and if it goes well and I get the confidence back I will take my boy up there and have a lesson out on him, but I'd have to lead as I know he can't canter in a group because it always turns into a race which is yet another battle with my demons......... :rolleyes:

newrider.com