Concerned - I'm I going too far too fast?

I took a holiday to South Africa in December, and it seemed logical to take him out before my exams as well so that I could concentrate on studying. He has no soundness issues as far as I know.

well in that case, don't worry - you'll do just fine with what you're doing. He obviously is enjoying the rides, and as long as it stays that way, then he's not in pain or overstressed. While you were away he was probably out somwhere cantering about a bit on his own :) It sounds like you're 'listening to the horse' and he will tell you if he's gettig overstressed because he'll not want to go ride with you, or he'll show some aggression, or reluctance to go forward. Just listen out to his needs a little like you are doing, and you two will do great.

Kate

was he stabled, or out 24/7 while you were away?

after 3 months i would not be cantering the fdirst week, even if he has been out, and absolutely not if he was in overnight. they do keep themselves fitter out 24/7, and regaining muscle is faster than building it up from scratch, but even so, asking too much can put him at increased risk of pulling a muscle or straining a tendon or a ligament. if he trips or stumbles, he is more likely to injure himself more seriously.

they don't know their limitations, especially when factoring in the weight of tack and rider, so we can't rely on how enthusiastic they feel to gauge fitness.

i woudl take at least two or three weeks, riding every day, to build up to canter work.

Thanks for your replies. Mehitabel that's what I was worried about, straining a tendon or ligament, etc. He was out 24/7, in a large paddock with 10 or so other horses, and apparently cantering and galloping frequently but I wouldn't hold much weight to that statement.

In the past when he's come back from summer spelling I've followed a strict routine of walking 1 hour every day for the first 1 to 2 weeks, then introducing trotting, by week four beginning gentle cantering. Riding on Tuesday however he felt really forward going (which I thought was just excitement from being out again) but he has been the same so far all week... which is a lot different to how he was this time last year after spelling for a shorter time (he worked up a sweat much faster, seemed sluggish, etc) which is what is causing my confusion!

i don't think you need to go as slowly as you have before, since he is coping, has been out and active and hasn't been lame. i would walk and a bit of trot now, and aim to be cantering in a couple of weeks.

newrider.com