Competing Novice?

yasminphorse

Jul 13, 2008
England
www.youtube.com
I'm doing a show in a few weeks, and planning on doing a prelim and my first Novice (novice 25) however, I was wondering before I buy the test what Novice Movements are included in it that aren't seen at prelim level?
(I'm not asking for the actual test as that's illegal!) It's just cos I'm debating whether or not to have a go :)
If anyone knows that would be great :)

Medium trot is the only one I've come across that is in a novice test but not prelim. There might be some giving & retaking of reins too which isn't always in prelim. Tends to be more cantering about, which was what got Bronson in his first novice ("I'm bored of cantering, lets tank off!" :eek:)
You could have a look on the BE website because their novice eventing tests are similar to novice dressage ones :)

Medium trot is the only one I've come across that is in a novice test but not prelim. There might be some giving & retaking of reins too which isn't always in prelim. Tends to be more cantering about, which was what got Bronson in his first novice ("I'm bored of cantering, lets tank off!" :eek:)
You could have a look on the BE website because their novice eventing tests are similar to novice dressage ones :)

That's great thanks very much! I will do :)

i think they ask for lengthening in the trot and canter not really proper medium paces.

there is giving and re taking of reins, not sure if you have to trot on a long rein. there are 15m circles. and the movements come up quicker

Irrelevant now you've bought the test, but for anybody else looking for a similar answer:

The main differences are:

-expected to show a few lengthened trot strides, ie Medium trot.
-transitions are more placed at specific markers, rather than between 2 markers so need to be accurate and prepared
-little more canter work
-more up and down transitions

Change through trot is in the novice tests
Simple changes start at elementary and the downward transition may be ridden through trot to walk, then walk to canter.
Simple changes at Medium level must be ridden directly as canter-walk-canter
Flying changes start at Advanced Medium level with single changes
Tempi changes start at Advanced level

newrider.com