Competing above the level of your competence

janet hakeney

Dec 1, 2002
Visit site
Ok...so I am old...I gave up competing a while ago, but when I was young we accepted that we should only compete at the level BELOW that at which we were competent and training at home.

Now I see so many people (& particularly in dressage which is rarley life threatening if you get it wrong) who are patently incompetent to perform with any degree of rapport with their horse at the level at which they chose to compete. Some even admit that they do not have the movements of the test/course established in their training but just want to 'have a go'

My view is that this is not fair to the horse and a great way to make a prat of yourself in public to those who do know what they are looking at. Give me some perspective...I know that my views are often somewhat to the right of Atilla the Hun so I am used to people disagreeing with me:rolleyes:

Personally, I would rather people competed above their level than below - it frustrates me when people who try really hard for their "level" get beaten by people who walk it and should be challening themselves with the level above - or they comepte at next level too.

That said, I also dont agree with time wasting for the sakes of it, by all means try but dont be TOO unrealistic! (I went in a ridden M&M class last summer - first show ever with pony, and failed miserabley but there was no levels as just a local show, but had no idea that I was being THAT unrealistic haha)

I suppose it depends on what you want and why you're doing it.

Serious, affiliated riders going for qualifiers, for example, should probably be working above the level at home.

On the other hand, there's nothing wrong with a pleasure rider stretching themselves at a local show.

I write for a dressage judge at both affiliated and unaffiliated competitions - so see all sorts. I love the range and variety.

Generally I agree with you if the rider is competing but we do take a lot of our 'projects', generally young ex racehorses in various stages of retraining, out to local shows/dressage when they are not ready..just better to get them out in the world and keep their brains engaged. We do however only go to venues that know us and our projects and enter NC.

Firstly, you should know at home at what level you want to compete at and aim for with your teacher. Your teacher should then be able to determine what level you should enter at. Why is there any confusion? New teacher perhaps? Or, maybe new horse.

If you are competing locally at shows then I think people should challenge themselves but once qualified to national, don't be disappointed if you achieve below expectations. Keep trying and aim high after all, the horse must have been capable in the first place, use as a learning curve and be prepared that there are lots of people there who know what they're looking at and others who have endless experience and expect comments whether good or bad.

Shows are NOT exclusive to the elite. Anyone may enter a horse and win - that's why competitions exist. It would be nice if experience does not turn noses and patey's up to the sky to mere beginners and perhaps offer guidance and support.

I agree with pfb - there are a handfull of people at my local RS show who go in every class from novice to open every time and win them all! Its very annoying and not v fair on the rest of us. These people should really be progressing to affiliated now and def shouldn't be going in a 70cm novice class.

Y/O also has lots of gripes about people with top horses jumping 90cm opens in BSJA week after week as it just doesn't encourage anyone to progress up the grades.

TBH I think dressage is the only discipline where you could really get away with going in above your head - if you start trying to jump beyond your capability you are going to come quite a dangerous cropper very quickly.

newrider.com