Colt/stallion mounting my gelding - advice needed!

Kerry Claire

Aug 30, 2004
Cheshire/Manchester
Visit site
I wasn't too sure where to post this so apologies if it's in the wrong area.

My 8 year old pony is currently sharing a field with 2 young ponies - I think they are both 2 year olds. One is a Sec D gelding but the other is a Sec A colt. He went to be gelded a few weeks ago but unfortunately it didn't go ahead as he hadn't dropped properley yet. This didn't particularly bother me as it hadn't caused any problems but today when I turned my pony out the colt was all over him and mounted him a couple of times.

I don't know if I should be concerned or if I'm worrying over nothing. Is this likely to do much harm? The colt is a little smaller than my gelding but I'm also worried incase the colt takes a battering from mine if he decides he's had enough!

A colt now gelding I know does this. The mare in thhe field wont let him and so he doesn't but the gelding does. He seems to do it play fighting - they drag each other round by Thier manes and rear up at each other - fascinating to watch two boys actually challenge for leadership - neither have got hurt yet

Could well just be a baby horse trying to make an older horse play with him, rather than a display of colty dominance, in which case if your horse tells him to back off, he most likely will.

When I had my stallion and gelding in the field together, mounting by the stallion horse of my gelding pony seemed to be part of the whole playing ritual to be honest.

My wee 14hh gelding looked slightly perplexed initially when it happened but never objected and the 16hh horse never hurt him. They had some amazing play sessions and were great to watch together.

They were the best mates ever.

My youngster only instigated it in play, and that was very rare - so rare I never actually witnessed it, only word of mouth.. he wasn't particularly interested in mares until the beginning of his third summer. This Colt may be at the stage where he's starting to realise some thing's different about himself, but unsure exactly what - imagine a child going through adolescence - and what to do with 'it'...
Try not to be over concerned, it's fair if your horse tells him off, as he has to learn that not every horse wants to play in that way, and only another horse can really teach him that..

newrider.com