Collection

Blair Witch

Riding Instructor
Nov 6, 2005
Webkinz World
www.freewebs.com
I'd like to know how to teach Flash to lower his head and collect his stride. I've been told that it will help strenghen his hind end and is also a useful cue to help him relax when he is anxious or spooky. I know there are many different methods to teach a horse to lower his head. I'm never going to show him so I don't care which method I use, as long as it works. I'm familiar with asking for collection by seesawing the bit and asking one handed. Which would be the easiest method to teach a young horse to collect and to lower his head? He's never had any prior training to collect and extend and is still quite green.

if he has never had training to be collected then i would start by teaching him with the seesaw method... but remember since he is just learning dont be like yanking on his mouth, it should be a light kinda of bouncy(if yu no what i mean) motion, and dont do it constantly,,, and soon as he starts to lower his head just a little stop... its his reward... then when he brings it back up start agian... eventually you may even be able to stopping have to ask... thats what happened with my horse... i worked on it all summer and by the end he would go into a frame right when i started riding.

NO - the seesaw method is the absolute WORST way to teach a horse to frame up, because it hardens the mouth and creates a false frame. You have no access to the back and the horse falls on the forehand.

What you need to work with is getting him to use his hind end more - lots and lots of transitions, while asking with half halts. Keep a steady connection with the reins and visualize yourself pushing into the contact and driving him to meet the bit with your seat.

If he's truly new to it, you might want to start lunging him with either a chambon or a degogue-it'll help him get the idea as well as develop necessary muscles that can be translated into the saddle. If you find it helps (and it probably will, because it sounds like you haven't ridden a horse in a contact either) it might be an idea to ride with the degogue as well-only for about 15-20 minutes at a time, but it should help you get the feel of how much leg is needed to encourage the horse to lift his back and round himself.

good luck

I agree with StormArion try lunging in a chambon (not sure what a degogue is) or lunge mine in a pessoa. Helps her engage her hing quarters but only fighting herself!! It works really well on the low position!

As alsways in forums you will get lots of different controdicting thoughts, just go with what seems best for you and your horse!!

Good Luck

NO - the seesaw method is the absolute WORST way to teach a horse to frame up, because it hardens the mouth and creates a false frame. You have no access to the back and the horse falls on the forehand.
cant agree more

it is important to remember when working a horse long and low not to focus on just getting its head down!!the back must also be rounded and his hind working well underneath him,otherwise the head carrige will be unsteady and he will be working in 2 a 'flat' frame, giving a short stiff feeling through this back rather than a elevated one thats slightly extended with bounce.if the back is rounded and hind legs under he should be quite willing to take the contact down whenever offered.for a little more incouragement you can widen your hands and lower them slightly,though shouldnt be neccasery.if hes still struggling you might find it easier to ask starting on a circle where he will be more 'together' anyway and work him to the outside rein,then you can make little flexions to the inside keeping the outside rein still,and on the 'give' give a little more than you normally would even taking the rein forward so its slighty loose so he has 'room' to strectch.use plenty of incouragement with your legs to keep him going forward into it,and concentrate on keeping his back round and working.doing it at the end of a schooling session to start with may help.
collection however involves raising the head and frame and working in a streched long and low way should be establised first.

I just thought I'd let you know how I'm doing. I went out and did some riding in the pasture and Flash was amazing. After he was warmed up and nice and loose I asked him for some collection at a stand still. Since he has a naturally high head carriage I dropped my hands to my sides and asked him for his head. He danced around a few times, trying to figure out what I wanted then he dropped his head perfectly. I released and praised him like crazy. I made him drop his head 5 times then I'd let him go for a walk. At the end he was perfect. I'm amazed he caught on so quickly and now he's nice and rounded.

Thanks for all the advice and technics guys.

newrider.com