Collection And Extension

Y

Yann

Just curious what the aids are for collecting and extending a gait, wondered if anyone could enlighten me. Not that I'm at a stage in my riding where I have to worry about such things:)

Gosh um, I have done it in trotting before, but I cannot remember at all!!! Sorry! It was quite hard (well I thought so!) but all the peeps in my lesson did it well, and it was right! so hmmmm yep! :D :D

Hiya
ummm to get a horse on the bit slight pressure...release...pressure...release and so on with one rein, not big tugs though. I think (think!) this means the horse has to bring its hindquarters underneath him more etc lol

I don't know much but I was always taught to do this and it looks so much better than a pointy nose lol,
easy when you know how - I never thought i'd beable to jump more than 1ft :) I think every rider at whatever stage is like that, I'm more confident but now it's "I wish I could do leg yielding"

:D

Yann........ I've just bought Your horse magazine today and you get a free booklet with it..Riding made Simple....:D :D

A guide to:
Rhythm
Balance
Half-halt
Riding on the bit
Collection & Extension
Engagement & impulsion

I think its a very handy booklet:) Just thought you might like the reading as it answers your question:)

To extend the trot I've always thought of pushing on whilst giving half halts. On a green horse it's easier to rise to the trot than sit and exaggerate the rise so as to get the lift of the forehand. You have to be careful to contain the extra energy you're creating without stifling the gait, otherwise you end up with a flat out trot or a very annoyed shuffling horse!

To collect, sitting is easier for me. Rather than do anything with my hands or legs I try to sit up tall and suck the horse up into my seat. This way the horse goes upwards more than forwards so you keep the impulsion whilst getting collection. Half halts as usual and leg to keep the motion but the seat is the bigger part of the equation.

They're both one of those things that are much easier to do than to explain how to!

Amanda

My instructor got me doing and extended trot (didn't tell me at the time though!). All she said was lots of half halts while encouraging forwards. I got a few good strides, but it was soooo exhausting!

newrider.com