Cold and hot shoeing

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
I know I spend my life on this forum. Well the hoof care forum anyway! Lol!
I was wondering sox I believe has always been cold shod. But I know horses that are hot shod have a better fit. However when sox was in his stable on the old yard and the farriers were there burning away he would snort in his stable and leg it to the back of his stable. My previously farrier tried to hot shoe him once and just do the one. Sox completely freaked out and took me with me! My farrier said he had never seen a horse react like that to been hot shod.
He has been tied up before while others.are been hot shod and will normally snort but be okay. However there was one time sox was tied near a farrier and another farrier decided to cool the shoe down using the tap... Sox pulled back,breaking the twine and off he walked to the nearest patch of grass with me walking after him.

How could you go about getting a horse like sox used to hot shoeing? What are the pros and cons of hot compared to cold?

Don't know, will watch this with interest! Even sedated Flipo snorts a bit and doesn't seem so chuffed with the noise. My farrier stopped doing it after this as it's just not worth the risk when he's handling hot metal! I see no great difference in the shoes now. The farrier beats merry hell out of it to get it in shape and I have no issues.

Some of ours had only ever been cold shod. Hreyfing came to us at 15 never having been hot shod, One or two others too. Utterly polite until I went to burn on then all hell was let loose.

I just cool the shoe so it only fizzles a bit and get them used to it that way. She's fine now. The sound of the forge makes her snort , that all now.

Some of them freaked out at the sound of the forge blasting away.

I only hot shoe as cold forging makes a hard job harder, You get a much better fit as you can make more accurate adjustments to the shoe is hot.

When Bo was a baby he would have a meltdown, so we just held him in the midst of the others being done, then once he was okay with that the farrier did him, but didn't do a long burn on the foot so there was loads of billowing smoke, he just touched it on a few times quickly and he got used to it pretty quick after the first few times he stood good as gold.

J was always hot shod until we had a situation here at home where the farrier couldn't - because of his van and equipment, (it would have got stuck in the mud track leading to the paddock). He cold shod him and did a top job. To my untrained eye he did a superb job and there was no difference. But, he did say it was a little trickier and took him a little longer. Either way, J's shoes did not seem any different when cold or hot shod.

newrider.com