Coffee & Cake Shop Chat

We’ve got sunny here with this afternoon set to be around 31 degrees, I’ve left Belle out as it gets hotter in our barn than it is in the field, there’s almost always a bit of breeze outside and plenty of big old trees for shade.

Was misty here this morning and quite pleasent but sun is starting to come through now.
It was very humid here last night. Sweat was pouring off me whilst I was stacking the last bales in the barn at 9pm.

Just siting out in the garden for lunch. Only ham and lettuce sandwich. Nice breeze in the shade. Really nice to relax. Ita very rare we sit out in the garden to eat. Need to go to work shortly. ??
My mum had a zoom meeting this morning that was set up, so as shes completely computer illiterate i had to be here for her. Its only the second time myself. Good job i was as the link they provided through some wesite wouldnt work so i had to request the link via email. My mum wouldnt of had a clue.
Had a nice little run this morning up the hill and over the top. Havent been running since june. Really lost my mojo after those migraines and then funny heart palpitations. But my minds been nagging at me to get back to it. But then weve been doing hay so i didnt want to kill myself. Yesterday i ran about 1.5 miles. This morning i did 3 miles. Although it was a bit sweaty and my darn tracking apps stopped as well so it said id only done 0.38 of a mile. I hate gps when it stops working. Really pleased with 3 miles though.
At least floss ate her breakfast the last two mornings. Weve had terrible trouble with her eating. Shes always been a fussy dog on food. If im going out she would rather leave food and come with me. Lately though i have to sit in the kitchen and not move. Trying to entice her to eat. But some days she just wont eat. We dont have regularly morning or evening walks as were always doing different stuff round the farm. If i walk her in the morning and suddenly need her in the afternoon for the sheep shes too knackered to work properly now shes getting old and since her vestibular attack shes got worse. She cant keep up if she hacks out with the horses either. But the last two days ive taken her with me as i knew my runs would be slow. She was tired at 2 miles bless her, but it satisfied her enough to want to eat breakfast without too much encouragement today. Result, but i cant run her everyday.

Last edited:
My mum had a zoom meeting this morning that was set up, so as shes completely computer illiterate i had to be here for her. Its only the second time myself. Good job i was as the link they provided through some wesite wouldnt work so i had to request the link via email. My mum wouldnt of had a clue.
O my goodness. Student Grand daughter visited the teacher to set my OH up with a zoom language lesson tomorrow morning.
I believe in making a clear list of instructions on a piece of A4 paper, which can then be followed by any novice. It was impssible to get clear instructions from the "instructor" today. I need to be there tomorrow to supervise and to make sure the needed document is on the correct computer.
Off now to teach OH the glories of drop box.

Glad you got your meeting going. I had one ast week set up by the other person even with added email link and it just didnt happen. I think the other person's meeting were security protected!

Pheasant making use of the shelter :)
DSC_2917~2.JPG
The pheasant that is accidently fed (because I make a mess with the bird feeder), is more friendly than his two girls. The girls scare the cob as they suddenly poke a head up and the head runs.
Random thought, has anyone ever seen baby pheasants? Does anyone know how big an area they roam. I assume I am feeding the same male?

Lunch sardines on toast, love those.

Reactions: MrA
Pheasant making use of the shelter :)
View attachment 103351
The pheasant that is accidently fed (because I make a mess with the bird feeder), is more friendly than his two girls. The girls scare the cob as they suddenly poke a head up and the head runs.
Random thought, has anyone ever seen baby pheasants? Does anyone know how big an area they roam. I assume I am feeding the same male?

Lunch sardines on toast, love those.

What I don't know about pheasants isn't worth knowing !!lol
Baby pheasants are very very cute. And they can rapidly become very very tame.
Back at our old house we had tame ones for years. We had a very unusual girl bird, she was amazing really and raised several broods over the years all becoming quite tame. We had one called Road Runner, she lived to a ripe old age.
The boy birds - we had Mr Ghillies. How I miss him. He was so tame he'd come right into our caravan. I have a video of him somewhere on my old phone lol
You will find they do lots of large poops, but on the whole they are great fun to have around. Mating season is hilarious when they puff up and show off to the girls. Ours stayed pretty much within our thirteen acres - every now and again they'd stray a little but didn't go too far. If the cob gets used to your boy bird puffing up and suddenly squawking then it's a bonus! I had a hacking bird too - also Mr Ghillies and Storm became quite immune to his escapades.

Reactions: domane and Huggy
I've just been online shopping for beauty products - my second favourite subject after horses lol
Just got a nice couple of items for Mr T (probably in the minority of men that actually enjoy using moisturiser!) and into my own basket fell (literally I had no control over it) a free gift....................................and some free samples. Hehehee. Happiness is a box filled with toiletries. Sad I know. Storm and the gang don't care if I have grey hair, wrinkles bad teeth or the whole lot. But I do try for them. :D

• Haha
Reactions: carthorse and Huggy
What I don't know about pheasants isn't worth knowing !!lol
Baby pheasants are very very cute. And they can rapidly become very very tame.
Back at our old house we had tame ones for years. We had a very unusual girl bird, she was amazing really and raised several broods over the years all becoming quite tame. We had one called Road Runner, she lived to a ripe old age.
The boy birds - we had Mr Ghillies. How I miss him. He was so tame he'd come right into our caravan. I have a video of him somewhere on my old phone lol
You will find they do lots of large poops, but on the whole they are great fun to have around. Mating season is hilarious when they puff up and show off to the girls. Ours stayed pretty much within our thirteen acres - every now and again they'd stray a little but didn't go too far. If the cob gets used to your boy bird puffing up and suddenly squawking then it's a bonus! I had a hacking bird too - also Mr Ghillies and Storm became quite immune to his escapades.
That's great that you had some pet ones. He was all wet and soggy this morning but I have heard them puff up, she ignored those.
It seems to be the girls. Well tough, I am feeding the birds sweetie because I like birds. Except the pigeons they are not exactly graceful at taking off are they, the noise in the trees.
I had thought about one of those cameras that Ale has to see who comes along at night. But then I already have two cameras!
I guess I could watch the cob?

Reactions: Trewsers
Male pheasants are generally tamer than females. Mind they can be too tame. A couple of years ago my brother was doing some contract fencing. Less than a mile away there is a shooting school, hed escaped and crossed the main road. Think phesant had been being regularly fed as he was so tame he was attacking the tractor tyres and was going for his ankles.

I now someone else who had a frequent visitor. In the end they caught him, boxed him up and took him to some woods several miles away. He was so tame he was attacking them and attacking the paint on the car, were he could see his reflection in it.

Male pheasants are generally tamer than females. Mind they can be too tame. A couple of years ago my brother was doing some contract fencing. Less than a mile away there is a shooting school, hed escaped and crossed the main road. Think phesant had been being regularly fed as he was so tame he was attacking the tractor tyres and was going for his ankles.

I now someone else who had a frequent visitor. In the end they caught him, boxed him up and took him to some woods several miles away. He was so tame he was attacking them and attacking the paint on the car, were he could see his reflection in it.
I think all the ones around here have escaped. There is a shoot about four miles away.
He's greedy with two girls. :)

Wow I've never known that. Ours lived in close proximity to us and our vehicles but luckily didn't do any damage. Chloe did though. She once decided to taste the paint work on the Landy bonnet. It was never the same afterwards. Looked like some kind of metal liking vampire had been at it during the night! :eek:

Somebody my brother worked for years ago had peacocks on a large private estate. They rented out there buildings for companys. The peacocks would go round admiring themselves in the cars. The more metalic and shiny the better. They were also know to take a chunk out of them to.

Just found a picture of the one that got rehomed to the woods. I was at work and he was looking in.

IMG_20180306_111209387.jpg

Let me in.

IMG_20180306_111153570.jpg

IMG_20180306_111228852_HDR.jpg

When ive counted the ones i get in my fields, ive counted as many as 15 females and about 3 males.

You dont see the females as much at this time of year i find. It seems to be mainly winter when you see them when they are foraging for food.

Love pheasants. We have youngsters at the charity I help at and I got very excited a while back to see a female first thing in the morning down the yard!

You know it's hot when Ale has drunk 45 litres of water in 12 hours. Least he's keeping hydrated!

Reactions: Huggy and Trewsers
Somebody my brother worked for years ago had peacocks on a large private estate. They rented out there buildings for companys. The peacocks would go round admiring themselves in the cars. The more metalic and shiny the better. They were also know to take a chunk out of them to.

Just found a picture of the one that got rehomed to the woods. I was at work and he was looking in.

View attachment 103357

Let me in.

View attachment 103358

View attachment 103359

When ive counted the ones i get in my fields, ive counted as many as 15 females and about 3 males.

You dont see the females as much at this time of year i find. It seems to be mainly winter when you see them when they are foraging for food.

What a fine looking bird!!!

Reactions: Huggy
Must be something wrong with my two females, saw them again today.

The cob's new boyfriend could have different feathers ha ha. I wonder if she sees them as companions even though not a horse?

• Haha
Reactions: Trewsers and Huggy
Freezing here. Woke to a thick haar and then sun and then wind and now dull and well, I can't feel my hands properly after being out walking Storm! eeek.

newrider.com