Cob stamping in winter (doesn't appear to be mites/mudfever)

Esther.D

Jan 3, 2003
Shetland!
maenoferren.mysite.freeserve.com
Alfie stamps as soon as the weather turns wetter, it doesn't appear to be mites (and only happens in the winter) and his skin is fine so doesn't appear to be mudfever. It does however seem to happen when his feathers start to get wet. He is in and on hardstanding over the winter so no mud to speak of, and has happened already this year and he is still turned out 24/7 at the moment.

Is it worth trying trimming his feathers or even clipping them off completely this winter? ( :( ) Is that likely to help?

one of mine used to do it when he felt discomfort in his belly ie before he had a bout of impacted colic. i know they ussually kick up at thier stomach if they have a sore tum, or if the small redworms are hatching out, but he did used to stamp, and i think it was just a little dispay of feeling out of sorts and fed up with it

It always seems to happen when his feathers are soaked, it has just started this week as we have had a really wet week. I have had a look at his hooves and they seem ok and he is quite happy to charge about and ask me to be caught and have a ride so I assume he is ok in himself.

Jen used to do this when she has mud fever used to look like thumper from bambi :D, treated it with pig oil and sulpher and so far not seen it since.

My hands often get itchy when they get wet so maybe its something simlar for him?

newrider.com