Cob height?

ElsGad1

Jan 31, 2021
Hello,

I have a beautiful rising 2 cob, who is standing about 14/14.1 hands high. (Difficult to know because he is out to grass at the moment and I’ve only been using a tape measure to guess.)

I was just wondering what the possible chances are of him reaching 15.1hh? I know it’s a how long is a piece of string question, just wondering if anyone had a cob at similar height at his age. I’d love to see your pictures! Unfortunately he was a rescue so unsure of height of his parents.

His name is Rupert and he is passported as Penscombes Pride, bonus points if you get the reference ! Pictures are of him from 6 months to 20 months
TIA

Attachments

• 384E8CFC-B94A-4E6B-AE76-65EF26BF88AB.jpeg
    384E8CFC-B94A-4E6B-AE76-65EF26BF88AB.jpeg
    159.5 KB · Views: 18

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
I can't help with the height but he is a very handsome boy and by the time he's filled out he'll be quite a chunk so he might feel bigger than his height anyway ?

I get the reference btw, got all the books lol.

ETA, it looks like his front end needs to catch up with his (very lovely) bum anyway. Hopefully some cob experts will come along with a more constructive reply!

ElsGad1

Jan 31, 2021
I can't help with the height but he is a very handsome boy and by the time he's filled out he'll be quite a chunk so he might feel bigger than his height anyway ?

I get the reference btw, got all the books lol.
Thank you, I think so too but I’m probably biased. He’s already so chunky! It’s like he’s doubled in size since last year already!

So have I! I was obsessed with them when I was younger, I couldn’t resist giving him his names.

Reactions: Bodshi

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
Looking at how bum high he is, and how immature he looks I wouldn't be surprised if he makes the height you want, just be aware that cobs can be slow growers and so he may make another inch when a finer type would have finished. Also muscle if they're correctly worked can add almost another inch in types that muscle up heavily. But as @Bodshi said the chances are he's going to be a substantial type who will ride bigger than his actual height anyway. He's very sweet looking now and I bet he'll be eye catching as an adult.

chunky monkey

May 2, 2007
Hi and welcome. He looks gorgeous.
Theres a couple of threads on here (probably back 6 months ago) im sure that tell you how to measure them, to then estimate there full height.
Try using the search box above.

ElsGad1

Jan 31, 2021
Looking at how bum high he is, and how immature he looks I wouldn't be surprised if he makes the height you want, just be aware that cobs can be slow growers and so he may make another inch when a finer type would have finished. Also muscle if they're correctly worked can add almost another inch in types that muscle up heavily. But as @Bodshi said the chances are he's going to be a substantial type who will ride bigger than his actual height anyway. He's very sweet looking now and I bet he'll be eye catching as an adult.

thank you, I know chances are he won’t be done filling out until 6/7. And he’s such a chunk now, I know he’s going to be built like a brick house by the time he’s done. I imagine he’ll shoot up again when the spring grass comes through. He was such an ugly duckling when he came to me, everyone asked me if was mad but looking at him now I’m so proud of how he’s coming along. Just crossing my fingers for height, not that he’s going anywhere!

Reactions: carthorse

ElsGad1

Jan 31, 2021
Hi and welcome. He looks gorgeous.
Theres a couple of threads on here (probably back 6 months ago) im sure that tell you how to measure them, to then estimate there full height.
Try using the search box above.
Thank you. I have done the string test on him and that came out at 16hh! But I just can’t see him ever getting that big ha!

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
He looks leggy and unfinished, if you know what I mean. I suspect he's got a good 3 inches in him yet. And what a handsome boy!

ElsGad1

Jan 31, 2021
I managed to get another picture of him today and he just looks like a fluffy little bear at the moment.

Attachments

• AD874C78-206F-4E1D-BFE0-E8EAB9D2D4CD.jpeg
    AD874C78-206F-4E1D-BFE0-E8EAB9D2D4CD.jpeg
    114.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Love
Reactions: Huggy and carthorse