Clipped horses and rugs

Ruskii

Jun 21, 2000
UK
My boy has a blanket clip, he was in a 50g rug but I checked him today and he was as snug as I would be in a duvet - so quite warm.

I've replaced his no fill turn out this year as his old one is leaking and he was getting wet all down his back and chest. So I've brought a neck rug to act as an extra buffer to keep the wind off him. It's so mild at the the moment the nights are only 9 degrees and the days are 12-14 :eek: So after checking for fit I left them on him.

After I had him clipped I was informed he would need a MW on now to keep him warm ..... hmm I differ. But after he had the no fill turn out on he was certainly warm to the touch on his chest.

If yours are clipped what rugs are they in ?

Its so mild still, mines just in a no fill sheet without a neck, would be naked but want to keep the rain off as that's what makes him cold. Pic to show his clip

Attachments

• 12141168_10156139051880156_3589240063873095831_o.jpg
    12141168_10156139051880156_3589240063873095831_o.jpg
    383.1 KB · Views: 15
Sam has a bib clip and out naked, he is sweaty at night as its so mild. He had had no fill on today as it was cold wet and windy all day.

I doing his clip again a little bigger soon so he may need some protection from the wet if it stays like this

Gosh if it were 9 degrees at night, mine would still be naked..!
Annie was in a blanket / Irish clip last winter (living out) and stayed in a no-fill turnout (no neck) for the majority of the winter, she only needed her MW when it hit 0, and I only added a neck cover for minus figures or very windy wet days.
People seem to think that the moment you clip any hair off any part of the body the horse will suddenly be freezing cold! But in my experience the "semi clips" (blanket etc) make little difference to a horse's temperature unless he's out in wet / windy conditions. If he is warm in a no-fill jumping to a MW at current temperatures would be quite a big leap. I personally would wait til you get proper winter weather before you go up!

Ben was fully clipped at the beginning of November, so about 6 weeks ago now, but he is still out completely naked. I would rug him if he was cold, but he isn't. We have only had one frost this year so far, if we get a real winter I may rug him but will see how he goes.

Mine is coming in sweaty and she is out naked in her own coat.
It's just so mild the midges are back!!
If I bib clipped her she wouldn't get a rug as I would cook the rest of her, so currently leaving her be to regulate herself. Our version of cold, wet and windy isn't necessarily theirs.

Roxy has a high trace clip - she's turned out in a lightweight today. If it goes down to about 3 degrees, she goes into a mediumweight, but I've barely needed it so far. She's in a mediumweight overnight, on the theory that she's less able to move about and keep herself warm in her stable. I slightly regret buying a new heavyweight turnout now as it doesn't look like I'm going to need it!

You might, it's still only Autumn.
I hope so. I want a proper winter! I'll probably regret saying that as I'm definitely riding more this time of year than I usually get to do, but I am craving some frost and snow! I've not even had to wear gloves and a woolly hat to the yard yet.

Albi was clipped out fully about a month ago so he is in a rainsheet as he doesn't have a full winter coat

Jack isn't doing much work as he isn't sound in any more than walk and OH isn't sound at all! We had to clip him though (Jack not OH) as he gets so hot, even just standing in the stable it wasn't fair on him. This weather is just ridiculous. He is rugged now he's clipped but doesn't need much. In fact the best rug we have for colder nights is one that's too small to go round him so it leaves a bit of his sides and a lot of belly exposed. He looks like he's wearing his little brother's pyjamas but it seems to keep him warm without him overheating.

Both Raf and Jack have one of those nylony duvet type stable rugs for when it's really cold but it was a waste buying one for Jack because he gets far too warm. I don't think they're breathable enough.

Hi, new from Australia, could you please help in finding such rugs?
Welcome to NR :D what type of rugs are you looking for? turnout/stable/ride one etc. :) The selection available here is enormous :p

I've been debating the weight/style of rugs this week, Hank had a little clip but is currently still sweating like a pig when driven, on sunday his neck and shoulders were dripping and he was damp all over, within 10 mins his clipped bits were dry but the unclipped areas were still wet an hour later and at the moment that is preventing me from doing much with him in the evenings as its dropping to around 0 here at night and I don't want him catching a chill. He has a LW and a very old MW (which isn't actually waterproof anymore but I could layer it with the LW if desperate), both are standard necks. I've been trying to decide if he will need a MW, if I want a combo or removable neck or none ....I don't want to waste money buying something he doesn't need but at the same time I'd hate to take more off and then him be cold (no where locally stocks small enough rugs to say I'll just grab one if I need it unfortunately)

@Jessey hank sounds like Torin. I had planned a low trace last year but when I started to clip him his skin underneath was a bit of a mess with scurf and scabs all over. I ended up taking it all off and giving him a bath with medicated shampoo. 3 goes and his skin looked much better. I got him a rugged 100g rug which kept him ample warm enough all winter fully clipped. On especially warm days he wore a light weight. I chopped and changed day and night on and off all winter but never needed anything above 100g with him.

Reactions: Jessey
@Jessey hank sounds like Torin. I had planned a low trace last year but when I started to clip him his skin underneath was a bit of a mess with scurf and scabs all over. I ended up taking it all off and giving him a bath with medicated shampoo. 3 goes and his skin looked much better. I got him a rugged 100g rug which kept him ample warm enough all winter fully clipped. On especially warm days he wore a light weight. I chopped and changed day and night on and off all winter but never needed anything above 100g with him.
I wondered if buying a fleece or waffle rug might be a good option, to dry him out when hot but also to use as a layer with his LW if a MW was likely to be too much. I wouldn't be clipping him any more if it wasn't for the New Years Day thing, I just need to keep his fitness up until then.

Reactions: mystiquemalaika
I found with a fleece it stretched out of shape if I did that.
You could opt for a non fill and lw as and when.
Thatch if need to dry off.

Reactions: Jessey
Kia has a hunter clip and is in a 250g standard with his 200g combo over the top.

We have been hitting -4 here and had snow and he is still living out.

Toffee is colder than he was last year for some reason. He's in a 200g combo during the day and the same on an evening. He's warm in it but he's not toasty as he would have been last year. We are on about 5 degrees during the day and about 1/2 at night.

newrider.com