Clicker training

WeeBarraxO

May 20, 2008
Glasgow
I would love to do some clicker training with Petri, will give us something to do and keep her amused when we can't get out hacking due to snow/ice etc etc

so just looking for some tips & tricks .. we done a little bit tonight :angel:, and she caught on quite quickly, just started with some stretches .. then got her to touch things with her nose :cloud9:, she is very food orientated so did catch on quite quickly lol,

will try and get some videos tomorrow of her as we will be up early'ish, well after we get back from Red :)

I use clicker training with Eva to get her going over poles inhand and ridden.

And we use it with Stormy and Shakira for picking there feet up. They are very quick learners all of them but I enjoy it and so do they.

I just remember in the summer when I done a photoshoot with someone who does clicker training clinics, and WOW the things she can do with her horses I just stood like :eek: the whole time .. but I mean that is years of work she has done with them, but honestly she was showing us something she had just started teaching and they catch on so quick .. once they learn the whole concept of click means good, good means treat .. and then she really can teach them anything

Daisy Sp8 on nr rider showed me what her coby can do. I have been hooked ever since. It takes away some of the fear horses have, they seem so eager to learn.

I love seeing how it just seem to register in there head. My ponies love learning. The food treat really encourages them.

There are lots of videos on CT on U tube for getting some ideas

There are some really good books too, let me know if you want some recommendations. I found another good one just 2 days ago, more inspiration for me including how to teach the Spanish walk!

I used clicker training with Cassie when we first got her as she had been barely touched for years and doing anything with her was dare i say it slightly dangerous:unsure: Fjords are definately led by their stomachs and my two seem to catch on to things very quickly, so im sure that Petri will just love it. I havent done it for a while, dont know why really but think i will dig it out and start using it with Alfie. Look forward to hearing how you get on :smile:

I've used it quite successfully for a few things. The latest is tacking up - Flip has remembered pain from badly fitting saddle, since thats been sorted he's still been a bit antsy and pushed me over so we've broken it right down into baby steps and he's happier with this approach.

Main things I've learn't are not to expect them to make a massive leap from one tiny action to one huge joined up list of actions - take it very slowly. Don't assume they've got the target touching thing and move on getting them to do other stuff. Get him touching a target at nose level, then move it up a bit, and then down a bit, then further away. Making it further out of reach just confirms to them what it is thats causing the treat to be given. Baby steps. I tried to move on to bigger things too quickly and flip didn't get it so just walked off (at liberty in the field). I was making it too difficult too quickly.

I think clicker is fab for problem solving but daisy has made me think about it as a potential preventative - despooking by taking my horse's mind off scary stuff. Will be concentrating on this during the winter. Five minutes a day, not too much, just enough.

Clicker training is such good fun for horses and their humans. Amanda Martin and her horses are incredible I always think. She trained with Alexandra Kurland whose books are excellent when you are first starting off with clicker.

newrider.com