Clicker Training

Bobster

Aug 3, 2009
I have been clicker training the horse I help look after - he is a rescue and has a few "issues". I thought I'd start clicker training him just for a bit of fun really.

Anyway, he got ill 2 weeks ago with hepatitis and became photsensitive and had ulcers that need cream applied twice daily. He would not allow us to apply the cream so I used the clicker to ask him to stand quietly and allow us to put the cream on. It also came in very useful when loading to go to the vets!

My point is if anyone is thinking of clicker training their horse I'd say go for it as it has created a bond between us and really helped me when we needed it the most!

Morgan123

May 19, 2009
nice to hear some support for it!! I think it always gets such a bad name becuase people just assume that it's just over-feeding treats. my horse has completely transformed since i started clicker training him and is so much more willing and trusting about things i ask him to do. he doesn't mob me for treats becasue he knows he has to do something to get them and that they are his reward. I think it's a totally calming and positive way to teach a horse (though of course should be used with care).

amberleystar

May 19, 2005
Guildford, Surrey
I agree it is great to hear about success with clicker training, positive reinforcement is so powerful and creates stress free learning for the animal :D

It generally gets a bad name because people don't understand how to use it properly and get into trouble. Clicker training is more than a clicker and a pocketful of treats, it is easy to do, but with some horses you need to understand more about the science behind it and how operant conditioning works so you don't reinforce the wrong behaviours!

Good luck and keep sharing your clicker stories :D

tinyted2

Aug 25, 2008
I have nothing but praise for clicker training, my pony has gone a complete nappy napper :eek:, to a positive forward going enjoyable ride. :D
Bring on the clicker.

poniesrule

Oct 3, 2007
South Midlands
Clicker has really helped my 2 year old, Calli.

She has always had an issue with puddles. She will lower her head and sniff the water and look at the reflection of her face staring back at her, but will always walk around rather than through it.

Using clicker she will now, albeit with a degree of reluctance, walk happily through a puddle.:D

stripey

May 23, 2009
lost on the Fens
Clicker has been fantastic for me and my horse, she is so much more engaged in her training, looks forward to it in a way she never did before. I really can't say enough good things about it!:D

juliecwuk

Mar 2, 2006
Wolverhampton
can you suggest any good books/places of advice to learn clicker training?

i use treats all the time in training and rewarding for my horses, always after they have done something i asked for, i just wondered if they would enjoy actual clicker training!

Bobster

Aug 3, 2009
Good books are Clicker Training for your Horse - Alexandra Kurland and for the theory stuff Dont Shoot the Dog - Karen Pryor. Infact anything with Karen Pryor's name on.

Try and go watch some dog clicker training classes - you will start to see how they shape behaviours and who has good and bad timings.

There is this place that does it for horses so am sure there must be others:
http://www.ashenequestriancentre.co.uk/33012.html And of course you tube has lots of demo's!

Enjoy!

Y

Yann

It's great, I'm using it at the moment to try and counter condition my cob's deep seated fear of injections. I don't know if it's working yet but I had the vet out this week for something else and she allowed him to stand with her, stroke her neck and even mime a jab without reacting so fingers crossed :)