Clicker training - which clicker?

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
Could those of you who have tried clicker training please help?

I bought a clicker yesterday in a pet shop but it seems really LOUD. I think it will freak Ziggy out.

Have any of your horses objected to the volume or intensity of click? If yes, please tell me where I can find a nice soft clicker?

Thank you!

Lol, is it really bad?! Mine is my old doggie one from years ago, metal so its quite loud, how about putting it in your pocket and just standing nearby using it for the first few times so its muted? Guess its like any spook busting, get them used to it...I've finally got to the stage where Flip just rolls his eyes when I jump and shout boo at him. :sleep:

i'm going to start doing some clicker stuff with minnie when i get a chance to read the book, revision for exams + me = :banghead: (im not very good at revising, i get distracted way to easily)

but anyway back to the subject of the question, we tried clicker training with our dog and ill be using and i-click which is a lot softer click than the metal one we had first ( http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/I-CLICK-Dog-T...pplies_Dogs&hash=item5197439c1b#ht_1070wt_905 )

I bought an adjustable one from Pets at Home, it has a slider that adjusts the volume. Not because my horses are scared of it, but because it was the only one they had :D I did once try clicker with a pony that was nervous about the sound of an ordinary clicker at first, so it does happen.

When I tried clicker with Rhia she didn't like the sound. I had to spend a while de-sensitising her to it. She isn't really a jumpy sort either!

Do you have an Android phone?

I downloaded an app called DogClicker the other day and it seems OK though I haven't tried it on Kelly or Wesley yet.

There are three different clicks and you can adjust the volume.

newrider.com