Clicker training or NH?

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
I guess they is down to each individual person really. I have the chance, I say chance I know of a woman who does natural horsemanship, I am very much into learning and things like that I love watching the horse intereact with each other in the field etc. However I was also thinking about clicker training. Now I can do the clicker training no problem. I am basically asking if you would go with the NH or clicker training?

Depends what you mean by NH? It can mean paying attention to how horses think and learn and make sense of the world and as such it's just an attitude you bring to all your interactions within whatever other training you do. NH can mean a desire to form a cooperative partnership with a horse or it can mean dominating the horse via 'alpha' behaviours and can be every bit as harsh as non NH methods.
Clicker is a training strategy and you can use it to solve specific training or behaviour issues which you can use alongside anything else so it's not either/or really.
If you mean PNH then wouldn't touch with a barge pole personally.
I've used clicker quite a bit in the past but don't really use it much anymore. Some horses have loved it but some seem to find waiting for the treat a stressful distraction and I find it harder to get and keep their attention.

Why can't you do both? I do what works for our relationship regardless of who thought of it, wrote it, boxed it and sold it.

Reactions: No_Angel
I too would mix both and do what suits you, I know my ri agrees with many NH methods but feels having a horse walk up tyres is taking it too far in her personal opinion. Although about 10 years ago I sent a horse to a ai friend who produces show ponies, he needing braking as he brought from a herd, I sent him away as my daughter was a toddler at the time and ending up collecting him after 8 weeks as he was no further forward and he still had major anxiety issues. If you were behind his eye line he would freak, I brought him home and did lots of desenstisation with him, we did join up, then I booked him in to a NH trainer, and within 3 weeks she had made huge progress with him. Within 5 weeks he was riding away and came home to continue his education, and everyone couldn't believe the change in him. So for me I do believe in NH, my horse just needed that type of approach as the more conventional method wasn't working for him. I suppose every horse is different and I'd you whatever I felt was working for me and my horse/pony.x

Jane&Ziggy said:
Like NF, I do a bit of both. I am too soft and inconsistent to be a good trainer but I'll use any technique that works!
I think this is horse dependant too though. Mine likes the consistent approach of lunging, hates the nh version of circling. She knows what I am likely to be asking of her.
The click of the clicker won't work for us since I use a click as part of my aids the same as I do a whistle.
She also knows where I am going depending on which way she is put to the mounting block. It means I use near and off side. :D

newrider.com