Clicker training advise

Dizzy Woo

Apr 20, 2008
Dorset
I have enjoyed teaching Daisy Haffie a few tricks and I believe she has too! like opening and closing her tack box for a treat etc
We seem to 'get lost' in the moment as we learn together, so I thought I would expand on this with some clicker training and wondered if anyone could recommend a good book, on Kindle I can get :-
Nancy bailey-15 Rules for Clicker training;
Kim Freeman -clicker training for fun or
Jennii Nellist-Clicker training for horses Foundation lessons.......

Both of Alexandra Kurland's books are good but not available on kindle. Hannah Dawson has stuff available online and is good too:smile:

I think thats lovely Dizzy, clever Daisy!

I would love to do clicker training with Tobes, he is as bright as a button, but am fearful it would encourage mugging as he is a PIGGY!!!

I suppose done properly, it doesn't. Years ago, when he was horrid and I was very scared of him I used to get off a lot. Even today, if I take my feet out of the stirrups he stops dead. I think thats quite clever really - he does love me to lead him if we are out hacking, bounces along, not a fear in the world!!

If you do find a good book, you will let us know - I am just concerned I would treat for the wrong thing, compounding a bad habit!!

sjp1, the first thing I taught Ziggy with the clicker was not to mug for treats. He never nips or nibbles now and is way better than Mattie, who has not been clicker trained.

What Ziggy does when he thinks he has done right and deserves his treat is give his lovely low "whuh-huh-huh". Very very occasionally when I am leading him and I have a pocketful of treats he may nudge my pocket with his nose, but as all that gets him is a firm "No!" and no treat he doesn't do it very often even though he is a pony :redcarded:

Think that sounds lovely. Shall go online and have a look for the book.

Would be fab for Tobes to do something like that. He loves praise but will sometimes put his teeth on me when he fancies. Not biting, but almost 'I could if I wanted' I say 'T O B E S' and he gets that ' OK, OK' look and averts them, but clicker might motivate him differently.

newrider.com