Cleo's 2017

CassiopeiaCleo

Apr 26, 2017
I know it's a little bit late to be starting a 2017 diary seems it'll be May in a few days, but to be honest other than just hacking and general riding we haven't done a great deal... up until now!

I know some people might remember Cleo from before, but just a little introduction. I bought Cleo in April 2010 as my first horse, she was very green and I was rather scared of her, but I loved her so carried on! Thanks to various people and instructors, she became a wonderful horse who has given me 7 years of happiness and will hopefully continue to for many years to come!

I'm not a very confident person, at the same time I bought Cleo I was diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome which is an Autistic Spectrum Disorder, because of this I struggle a lot with anxiety and depression, but my dear Cleo has helped me along! I have a lot of confidence blips, depending on my mood at the time, but luckily I moved to a new yard just over a year ago and it's full of the most wonderful and supportive people, and I've got a fabulous instructor who is amazing at getting mine and Cleo's confidence up!

Anyway, I've always had a bit of a love-hate relationship with jumping, by which I mean I spent most jumping lessons sat in the middle of the arena crying my eyes out... at the start of the year I jumped this, and it felt massive:

17903831_1858600601059987_304017774518740107_n.jpg

and by the end of my jumping lesson two weeks ago, I was jumping this!
17904209_1858602557726458_7356134455141582383_n.jpg

proud is an understatement AND there was no crying involved!

Over the last year or so, Cleo has taken a severe disliking to travelling in trailers, I'm not aware of anything happening to her (we don't go out very often anyway) but this summer I was desperate to get her out and about. So I booked us on a charity ride, and hired a lorry to take us in the hope she'd load and travel ok. The ride is on the 6th May, but earlier this week my instructor told me there was a space on the lorry to go out this Sunday as sadly one of the horses going has gone lame and has dropped out, so I could have that space if Cleo would load ok....

I contacted the transport company we are using and he very kindly came out that afternoon to do some loading and travelling practice. It usually takes me a good 2 hours to get Cleo into a trailer, he had her on the lorry within 15 minutes, and after that she was walking on and off no bother. Once she'd loaded a few times I got in the back with her (well a couple of stalls away from her) and we went for a little drive to see how she coped, she really struggled to balance and nearly went down a couple of times, but then suddenly realised if she stands with her legs square rather than crossed she can balance, and after that she settled really well!

So hopefully this Sunday we are going out with three others from the yard for a little ride out, I feel awful for the poor pony that had to drop out but It's made my year being able to go with everyone- I'm a bit of a loner and am rubbish at making friends, so to finally be able to go out with people is amazing! :D

Hi, really enjoyed reading about yours and Cleo's journey so far. And it was inspirational to hear how you've managed 7 years down the line after suffering with confidence issues and depression and finding out you had aspergers. I recently finished a long course of bereavement therapy in which the counsellor told me it might be worth investigating aspergers with my doctor too. I've seesawed from thinking I probably am to thinking it will have been hard for her to judge that as unqualified to do so and also at the time that she made that judgement I was going through a pretty hard time and wasn't really myself - that being said it also felt a bit like a weight lifting when she said it because it suddenly explained why I feel the way I do sometimes. Like you, I suffer with my confidence so it was amazing to hear how far you've come with your first horse. She's absolutely beautiful too and looks amazing coming over those jumps! It sounds like you and her have a great bond - and I think the trailer practise shows that - you seem so tuned into her!

Good luck on Sunday and I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes.
Xxxxx

Reactions: CassiopeiaCleo
@misty I've just finished a short course of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy and it's made a huge difference to me! I was only allowed 6 sessions but the difference they made was incredible. I really wish I'd looked into that sort of thing years ago. When I was first diagnosed as having Aspergers it was all a bit scary I suppose, thinking that I was technically autistic, but it has explained so much that I've felt and done throughout my life. I still struggle an awful lot with my anxiety mainly, horses have been a huge help, without them I'd have no confidence, no friends and no life. It sounds awfully cheesy but it's thanks to Cleo that I'm still around today. Being diagnosed officially didn't make a huge difference to me, but it has helped me come to terms with things I didn't understand before.

Thank you :) x

Reactions: misty
I don't think it's cheesy at all. I know exactly where you're coming from. It's amazing what a difference having a good horse to love and care for and enjoy can do and I know what you mean about confidence. As I say, I suffer with a lot of anxiety and I sometimes think that finding the right horse is maybe impossible but I did loan a horse that was perfect so I do know they exist - and that feeling is just something I've never been able to compare to anything. Xxx

newrider.com