clean boot hunting

J Leahy

Apr 7, 2010
I had vaguely heard of this and just watched the slot on countryfile
Does anyone here do this ? How brilliant best of both worlds !

It's more commonly known as hunting with a bloodhound pack, I've been both the quarry and ridden at training meets. Rio and I went out with the pack that was shown on the programme a couple of times two years ago and had a lovely time :) I like the fact the route has an element of preplanning, better and safer for the horses without detracting from any of the fun :)

I hunt the 'Cleanboot'
It is basically hunting in the traditional way but without the killing of the fox.

We still hunt with the Bloodhounds and chase the pack around the fields and we jump, still dress up up in our hunting attire, still follow tradition and still drink lots of Port and Sherry etc etc, but instead of hunting live quarry we hunt a human scent!

So, we get all the fun and chase of the real hunt but no harm is done to any animal.

To cut a long story short..... it is hunting as you have always known it , just nothing gets hurt at the end (well, unless you fall off!)

The quarry had to run over 12 miles too I think its fabulous all the elegance n cameraderie no killing I'm not really a competant rider to hunt but if I were it would be the clean boots for me is it becoming more popular ?

It sounds really good. I'm thinking of taking up hunting myself, but I'm going to do it a step at a time - this year I'll be practising drinking lots of Port and Sherry. Next year I may progress to drinking while mounted ...

It sounds really good. I'm thinking of taking up hunting myself, but I'm going to do it a step at a time - this year I'll be practising drinking lots of Port and Sherry. Next year I may progress to drinking while mounted ...

:giggle::giggle: you will be a true hunt person then without having hunted!:giggle:

We meet at 11.30am and 'Move off' at 12.30pm prompt ( the hunt waits for no one!)
We get back around 4 or 5 pm, very cold, wet and tired .
I think we usually cover 12 - 14 miles.

The best nights sleep i ever have is after the hunt.

You have to be up early to prepare your horse, turnout is very very important, both rider and horse should look in pristine condition!

Lol xxxx Drinking whilst mounted is the best part of the day :wavespin::wavespin:

newrider.com