Clean bill of Health

dancing lucy

May 23, 2008
stalybridge
Some of you may know what its like on a yard with lots of people who know everything about horses, I have been getting a lot of complaints about my cob Snoopy who blocks the gate at teatime. As I am one of the minority who work I dont get there until about 4.30 so I have said to just let him in his stable even if its not ready I will sort when I get there (if they just asked him to move he would) but they make such a fuss squealing about big fat cob blocking others. Well last few weeks there have been comments that he is being a bully as he is in pain with his legs, feet etc. and he might be starting with arthritis I try to ignore as its only a few of the other liveries but last few days its been worrying me so I booked a full health check for him, vet arrived monday morning and went from teeth, eyes to his feet and all was well only problem was bit of lack of muscle tone due to not being ridden much over last few weeks due to weather. He said his legs and feet were great so I feel much better.

People really annoy me sometimes, wish they would just keeps their noses out of other peoples business.

Nice to hear your boy got a clean bill of health :smile:

That is one of the problems with keeping horses in herds. They have to get over it.

I share a field with one other and he often barges past me to get out I just have to put himk back in, simples as that.

If they dont like it let them move yards

Max is out with four others. One especially likes being at the gate first, and he's the biggest of the bunch!. I just shoo them away waving my lead rope around a little bit. Luckily Max squeezes past them so I have hold of him while the others get shoo'd away. Or is Snoopy going to stand his ground and tell them to p*ss off im not moving until my mum gets here???? maybe the others just want their horses lined up in a row all polite like waiting to come in!!!!!!! Glad that he's ok.

Love his name by the way........

Last edited:
Sounds like a typical bolshy cob to me - such a pity that the other liverys dont know enough to just put him in his place and reinforce the handling you obviously do with him? But that is the down side of sharing facilities with many others who you wouldnt necessarily choose to share with if it were possible to have the choice!

I cant believe they got to you so badly that you doubted your own judgement on his health and had a vet out - they sound absolutely awful - but at least it has put your mind at rest and you can use the results to shut them up if they still have a dig eh?:devil:

I had the same prob with mine last year. Because he is so big some owners were not prepared to stand up to him (nothing heavy just a wave of the hand or a move towards him stops him in his tracks) and if he sees an opportunity he will go for it and they kept just letting him out! so of course that meant he got to eat grass, which made the problem worse.

I found it so infuriating as quite frankly if you are that scared of other horses there are plenty of yards with individual turnout round here. I liked my yard because of the group turnout

As a temporary solution I did rig up an electric fence pen, square shape just inside the gate with a handle exit at each corner so that the people in question could nip their horse out the other gate if necessary as mine is not the quickest!

I personally think if you have a pushy horse you should be talking the other owners through how to deal with it rather than waiting for someone to ask you. Many owners don't want to be seen as confrontational or problem makers so say nothing to keep the peace. Also all owners deal with horses in differing ways and some might want the lead rope twirl approach, others might suggest a shoeing approach but those who don't know the horse might not want to get too firm if they don't know the horse for fear of getting kicked.

Either way, the likelihood is that however this is dealt with, if it's not as per specific instructions from the owner they'll be doing the wrong thing and cause friction.

Snoopy does hog the gate but if he is pushed to one side and told to move back he will do it I think he just scares some people cos he plonks himself at the front, I do believe that there has to be a leader of the herd otherwise it would be all horses at the gate scrapping to get out. When I do get there to let my 3 and my friends 2 out they can all be stood together but have a set place in the coming out Snoopy is always first then my friends old tb then my mare and even our new little mare has found her place and comes out next with my friends mare always last. I dont mind if they let him in at all cos he will either go back out or just wander round yard when I get there if his jobs not done, I can even work round him cos he just moves over when asked.

newrider.com