citronella and aquaeous cream, ratio?

catscradle

Aug 4, 2006
West Dorset
Horses seriously troubled by terrible flies this summer, I have tried fly fringes, Nafoff cream and spray, Lincoln cream, it is all hopelessThe vet has run out of the cream that they use but advised mixing aqueous cream and citronella. So, I have bought it (very cheap:) ) but am unsure of what the ratio of oil to cream is, can a too high a concentration of citronella cause ill effects?:confused:

Sorry I can't help you - just wanted to say I've been using Flygon from my vet and its really helped, Joe still gets some bothering him, but not like he used to. The Naff stuff was rubbish as was the Carr day and Martin stuff (tho it smelled quite nice!)

I use Aquious cream for loads of stuff, I normally opt for Tea tree oil in it as that keeps the flys off but also soothes and helps healing :D
I use about 200-250 drops in a 500ml pot of aquious, thats about 5ml of oil. Thats a pretty strong mix so definatly spot test it to make sure you don't get a reaction. You also shouldn't use more than about 16ml of the mix per day so you may need to dilute it further so you can use more (to cover more of your horse).
I have had great results with the aquious and tea tree oil, let us know how you get on.

J x

Thank you Jessey, that is so useful, I did try tea tree, I think that is what nafoff extra is-tea tree oil in Aqueous cream, at about 3 times the price:eek: this is the first year with such problems, and the first year without the old citronella sprays, coincidence:confused:
I will try tomorrow, and I like mixing things up:)

You could always use half and half, tea tree is so good for the healing aspect and citronella is great at keeping the bugs off :D

or try a mix of lavender oil and tea tree oil-i find that really soothing and a good insect repelent.
I use it in vasaline to put on the boys sheaths in summer to keep the bitting bugs at bay:)

newrider.com