chunky legs!

peas-in-a-pod

Apr 4, 2007
hi there,
i have a 14.2 very chunky cob and am having a lot of difficulty finding something to protect his legs when i ride him. he has very chunky legs with a lot of feather on! i have tried fleece bandages but no matter how well i put them on (or get other people to put them on) they always end up undoing. i havent tried brush boots yet as i will need the width of a full sized boot but the length of a cob boot.

any ideas?

thanks x

my old mare has VERY feathered legs and tried boots a few times but could never find ones that fitted perfect so left it in the end tbh she had enough feather to protect themselfs ! :p :D

hi there,
i have a 14.2 very chunky cob and am having a lot of difficulty finding something to protect his legs when i ride him. he has very chunky legs with a lot of feather on! i have tried fleece bandages but no matter how well i put them on (or get other people to put them on) they always end up undoing. i havent tried brush boots yet as i will need the width of a full sized boot but the length of a cob boot.

any ideas?

thanks x

why do you need boots? i used to put boots on my mare (arab so needs pony width and cob length :p) and i hardly ever put them on now as they make her legs sweat and she's more likely to get infections with the boots than without.

My old cob was super chunky & feathery, no boots fitted him so we did xc, hacking, dressage, show jumping, everything without boots or bandages. Never had a problem. My current horse is a bit more 'normal' so boots would fit her but I have just got out the habit of using them, we've done a bit of everything & she's been fine! I wouldn't fret about it unless you're doing stuff that seriously runs the risk of damage or the horse's action predisposes it to problems.

Horses don't need leg protection as a matter of course - how do you think they manage in the wild, going over all terrain? If they have a fault in their conformation or action that makes them more likely to injure themselves, they're very unbalenced or doing something high risk like higher level jumping, you should consider leg protection. Boots and bandages can cause harm in themselves, by heating up the legs, which can lead to tendon damage, and mud and stones etc can get underneath the boots causing uncomfortable rubs, so if you don't need them, it's best not to use them.

thanks for all your replies but what i forgot to mention in the first post was that he has mild arthritus but i still wanna do all the jumping and stuff on him so he will need some kind of support i dont no what to do?

I use the shires protec all round leg boots. They are neoprene type boots with velcro fastenings which fit anything. The dont rub, dont sweat, and give great protection - and they fit hairy legged cobs!!

newrider.com