Choosing a shelter

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
Hoping some of you can share your views.

There are two options - walk through with windbreak 12x8ft Screenshot_2021-05-11-17-13-52-911_com.android.browser.jpg
3 sided 10x8ft (smaller than this)
Screenshot_2021-05-11-17-14-47-137_com.android.browser.jpg

Excuse this picture of Ale 😂 but pink is the floor size of the first one and green the second. Any thoughts?IMG_20210511_171954.jpg

I think I'd go for the 3 sided one as long as there's a prevailing wind you can put the back to. Of the horses I've seen with field shelters the ones they tend to use more are the most open ones.

Reactions: MrA
They both look good, I’d probably go for the 3 sided, just because there’s way less chance of getting into an awkward position across the 8ft depth and if he does there’s an open side. How tall are they?
My Hank hut is 8x8 and they all happily wedged in there even though it’s only 6ft tall at the higher end, but foot print wise it’s too small for the big ones to lay in.

Reactions: carthorse and MrA
They both look good, I’d probably go for the 3 sided, just because there’s way less chance of getting into an awkward position across the 8ft depth and if he does there’s an open side. How tall are they?
My Hank hut is 8x8 and they all happily wedged in there even though it’s only 6ft tall at the higher end, but foot print wise it’s too small for the big ones to lay in.
6ft at the opening, 8ft at the highest point so tall enough for Ale I think. Tbh I can more see him sheltering behind it from the wind so 3 sided makes sense, there's a large thick hedge that provides shelter year round on the side I'll have the opening so he can therefore shelter from wind in any direction

Reactions: carthorse
Tbh if you’re paying a lot of money, I’d question if you’re getting the most ideal shelter for it.
6ft isn’t really tall enough, if they spook and run out head high they’ll hit that. Jess stuck her head up in the Hank hut and pushed the nails out holding the tin on with a crash.
A slightly bigger footprint would also drastically reduce the chance of getting cast, 8ft is really only small pony size.
Ale is 14.1 right?, so he’s 4 ft 9 inches at the wither, leaving only 15” for head and neck below the doorway..... if you add 2ft to his rug size that will give you his rough length.
You really wanted this to give him somewhere to lay down, if it’s too small he’s less likely to use it for the intended purpose.

Reactions: MrA
Tbh if you’re paying a lot of money, I’d question if you’re getting the most ideal shelter for it.
6ft isn’t really tall enough, if they spook and run out head high they’ll hit that. Jess stuck her head up in the Hank hut and pushed the nails out holding the tin on with a crash.
A slightly bigger footprint would also drastically reduce the chance of getting cast, 8ft is really only small pony size.
Ale is 14.1 right?, so he’s 4 ft 9 inches at the wither, leaving only 15” for head and neck below the doorway..... if you add 2ft to his rug size that will give you his rough length.
You really wanted this to give him somewhere to lay down, if it’s too small he’s less likely to use it for the intended purpose.
This is where the consideration of getting the 8x12 foot walkthrough version comes in as far higher headroom and larger foot print for the same cost. Unfortunately I can't jump up to the next size of the 3 sided and I need something metal so I'm limited in where I can get something. I definitely get what you mean though, I'm mulling it over, he may never even use the damn thing 😂

Last edited:
Reactions: Jessey
Can they not do the next size up in metal? Or is it a cost consideration?
The 10ft bit wouldn’t bother me so much, but 8ft is pretty small, do they do a 10x10 in the walk through?

Can they not do the next size up in metal? Or is it a cost consideration?
The 10ft bit wouldn’t bother me so much, but 8ft is pretty small, do they do a 10x10 in the walk through?
No 8ft is the width of all of them so even going one up it's still only 8ft deep.

No 8ft is the width of all of them so even going one up it's still only 8ft deep.
I’d probably have a look for other companies that do slightly bigger ones, but I’m sure you’ve done that already.

My friend has one of the above for alpacas (not sure what size but it’s walk through), and it’s really sturdy and good quality. I could probably measure it and take pictures of their 14.2 mare in it if a visual might help with your decision?

Reactions: carthorse
newrider.com