child riding in a treeless.

tikkitti

Mar 8, 2015
As in earlier thread Ive bought our fell a treeless and its fantastic, the pony however is my daughters who says it feels funny to ride in. I know it does feel different to ride in than a treed but wondered if anyone's children rode in one and how the found it? If they switched from treed did they manage okay with the treeless. I personally think its great and I'm sure the pony would agree:)

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
No idea about kids but when I first got mine I found it very strange, it took me a good few rides to really get comfortable in it, my bum was happy from the off but I found in rising trot I was catching my thighs on the pommel/swells and felt a bit unbalanced but that was solved by shortening my stirrups to 2 holes shorter than I ride in any treed saddle.

Kite_Rider

Cantering cabbage!
May 18, 2009
I think you need to give it time for her to get used to it, they do feel very different to a treed saddle and of course it probably feels a LOT wider than she's used to.

No_Angel

Apr 20, 2003
Ireland
It will probably feel very different to a treed saddle, and being able to feel your horse underneath you can be unnerving when you are not used to it. In the long run it will probably make her a better rider as she isn't relying on the saddle for support so much :)

tikkitti

Mar 8, 2015
Must admit I rode in it and it was completely different from a treed saddle, not bad different but definately different. Haven't really seen any kids riding in them although I sure there must be some out there. Tbh she doesn't have a lot of choice at the moment (the ponys too fat) so will be using the treeless and will hopefully get used to it, I'm sure in a few months she will be fine and I will have both a happy pony and daughter:)

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
My friend Catherine has 2 New Forests and a Shetland. Her two children, a boy and a girl, have ridden all 3 ponies (the boy is too tall now alas at nearly 6ft1) and they used treeless always. The kids are bonny riders, very natural.

tikkitti

Mar 8, 2015
Thanks Jane&Ziggy, that gives me hope that she will be fine once she's stopped her complaining.:)

tikkitti

Mar 8, 2015
No idea is the honest answer, its kept at my parents. I'm guessing its apx 17" which may be another reason my daughter finds it strange as she has a 16" saddle to ride in usually. My ri saw it today and although she dislikes treeless saddles she agreed it fit really well. May look into a pink child's one for her to ride in as I'm sure that would appeal to her, didn't even know pink ones existed. Did see cheap new ones on eBay but worried about the quality. I had her fitted and bought a new h&c for the fell pony before she got so fat and so a treeless seem a fab idea as it would shrink with her:)