chev!! or anyone else who knows about cream dun??

devonlass

May 20, 2006
devon
So have a question about cream dun,what is it exactly??

I have seen a filly described as cream dun,has biscuit coloured body,black legs,mane and tail.Typical dark face mask and clear dark dorsal stripe so definitely a dun.

Now am a bit confused as thought cream dun was more like a grey in colour (am thinking of flumpys Arnie from here who I thought was a grey but is apparantly cream dun),and then there's this filly who is a totally different colour but is also a cream dun:confused:

Someone please explain cream dun to me??:)

The non- technical explanation if it helps is that Arns was a lot darker when he was younger. He was a beige baby:p

I do have some pics and will see if I can scan them in :)

These days (and he is 7) his coat is pale cream with some dappling in winter. His legs are darker from the knees down, he has dark tips to his ears and he has a very distinct dorsal stripe which is a dark biscuit colour. You can see the dun-ness in his tail more than his mane as it is quite cream and has the stripe running through at the top.

Cream Buns are the best :D

Ah so it could be an age thing?? This filly was only 2 yrs I think,but waaaay darker than your Arnie,a proper biscuit colour and black mane and tail and legs,and very dark dorsal stripe.Kind of looked like a buckskin but with more of a beige tone and definte dun markers.

I was thinking mouse or biscuit dun when I saw her,but was described as cream dun:confused:

Baby Arns:)

YoungArnie1.jpg
[/IMG]

very cute bless his hooves,BUT nothing like the filly I saw.Like I said had black mane,tail and legs,and was a much darker body colour,proper biscuit/dark beige colour.

Perhaps one I saw is not a cream dun,more a light mouse dun?? But is registered highland,and appear to have heve bred her so would assume would know her correct colour:confused:

Sounds more like a Yellow Dun to me.

If you have a quick look on HorseQuest there is a Yellow Dun for sale as the first ad under Highland Youngstock for comparison :)

Sounds more like a Yellow Dun to me.

If you have a quick look on HorseQuest there is a Yellow Dun for sale as the first ad under Highland Youngstock for comparison :)

No deffo not yellow dun have had one of those.Any excuse to post pics of my beautiful yellow/bay dun baby girl (RIP)

katie_003.jpg

katie_010.jpg

The one I saw was more of a dull beige colour than sandy/golden,I have seen one before (on horsequest funnily enough!!) and was described as biscuit dun,but I don't think that's a real colour?? More likely a light shade of mouse dun?? I am wondering if there are different shades of cream dun?? Lighter like Arnie and darker like the one I saw??

Wish I could post links,but am hopeless at that.Was on the freeads website if you want a nosy,was under the Plymouth section but probably could find it by searching highland??

Am glad you agree does definitely not look like a cream dun!!

I would have thought the owners would know though as seems might have bred her (also found same ad from a while ago on highlad pony society sales page),hence wondering if there are different shades of cream dun?? That filly is certainly not a cream dun as I know it anyway,much too dark in all way's.

Perhaps some more colour knowledgable person than us will reply (hint,hint chev:p).

I would love another yellow/bay dun like my beautiful girl one day,but don't see them very often,not like her anyway with all the frosting etc.The irony is that she was not even pure highland,but had the best colouring I've seen for a long time.

Well done on posting the link BTW,really must find out how to master that one day:eek:

newrider.com