Chestnut Horse Feed -anyone used/fed?

Nimbus65

Aug 15, 2005
A yard I MAY be moving to feeds this range and I'm a little leery about putting my boy on new feeds b/c he is very sensitive to molasses. I plan to talk to a nutritionist about this, but have any of you fed any of the Chestnut range and did you/your horse get on well with it (or not) and, if so, why? Also, did you feel any supplements and/or balancers alongside and, if so, what and why?

Kal is a 9-year-old 16.2hh Polish sport horse in medium work. His weight needs careful management and he does tend to stress weight off, but on good quality hay and/or haylage he is fine. He can't have molasses at ALL (he's like a kid with ADHD), and I've managed to find a feeding regime that works a treat - Alpha A Molasses Free and Blue Chip Original - and that's IT - no other supplements (he was previously on Pink Powder, NAF Magic, Oil, Garlic and Hilton Herbs rosehip and seaweed for his feet).

He can be a little sharp and opinionated but he's not silly.

Any thoughts?

N

Ive never heard of them, looking on their site I would guess that the feed have molasses in the, Im basing that on the face that none of the feeds state molasses free selling the fact that they are. Does that make sense.

Maybe offer you supplying the feed, might be easier and stress free.

Thanks LibbyLou - yes, I couldn't figure out from the website whether there was molasses in any/all so have done the sensible thing (why didn't I think of this before?) and rung a feed rep from Chestnut. Will have a chat with her and make a decision.

N

chestnut horse feeds

I have my horse on the conditioning chestnut feed, alpha plus think its called. He is a 16.3h trakehner and doesnt hold his weight well. I spoke to a lady on the phone and she was really helpful, although she said that I wouldnt need to feed any more than one stubbs scoop of just thier feed per meal twice a day and he does need more than that. he is currently fed on 3/4 scoop of this + 3/4 scoop equilibrium feed (brought bulk as was on offer)+ 1/4 scoop of oats! twice daily, + large stuffed net of haylage. He seems to like it, I would say that it has molasses as is moist? or could be oil content?. it seemed expensive at first but the bag size I think without checking is about 5kg bigger than a lot of comparible and includes delivery, My horse has suffered with occasional tummy upsets in the past but he has always been good on this feed and certainly hasnt hotted up on it. he has gained weight and is looking the best he ever has, but also changed from hay to haylage so not sure if that is why.
I originally liked it because of the feed bin that can be supplied with it, have you seen it? very smart, but wouldnt fit in my feed room :(
Ah, just noticed yours is Polish too!

Last edited:
I have my horse on the conditioning chestnut feed, alpha plus think its called. He is a 16.3h trakehner and doesnt hold his weight well. I spoke to a lady on the phone and she was really helpful, although she said that I wouldnt need to feed any more than one stubbs scoop of just thier feed per meal twice a day and he does need more than that. he is currently fed on 3/4 scoop of this + 3/4 scoop equilibrium feed (brought bulk as was on offer)+ 1/4 scoop of oats! twice daily, + large stuffed net of haylage. He seems to like it, I would say that it has molasses as is moist? or could be oil content?. it seemed expensive at first but the bag size I think without checking is about 5kg bigger than a lot of comparible and includes delivery, My horse has suffered with occasional tummy upsets in the past but he has always been good on this feed and certainly hasnt hotted up on it. he has gained weight and is looking the best he ever has, but also changed from hay to haylage so not sure if that is why.
I originally liked it because of the feed bin that can be supplied with it, have you seen it? very smart, but wouldnt fit in my feed room :(
Ah, just noticed yours is Polish too!

Thanks for this . . . I also spoke to a feed rep and she told me that there was a very small amount of molasses in the Alpha Easy (which is what we think we'll feed him) but the sugar content is actually below the Alfa A Molasses Free I currently give him (and which he loves). So the plan is to move him on what he's currently eating (don't want to change too much) and then introduce the Alpha Easy gradually to see how he does on it. Because it will be the "yard feed" and included in my livery, I don't need to worry about the cost (and we will get the smart feed bins!), but if he doesn't enjoy it, or he hots up at all on it, he'll go back onto his current feed.

Polish horses rule ;).

P

newrider.com