cheeky boy

Poor wee mite was then chased away from the haynets by his gf! Only max of two more weeks and they will be on summer grass (need to wait until I get more electric fence posts so I can split it as waaaay too much grass for my two! But it will be good to be able to rotate it so we won't run out!)

Poor wee mite was then chased away from the haynets by his gf! Only max of two more weeks and they will be on summer grass (need to wait until I get more electric fence posts so I can split it as waaaay too much grass for my two! But it will be good to be able to rotate it so we won't run out!)

Aw, poor lad! Our girls aren't out on the summer grass for a little while longer. We're six weeks into madam's injury and I'm loathe to push things by turning her into a small paddock just yet. They're in the arena with nets atm.

I have never used fly sheets do they work good?
I use fly predators and traps for blow ins and that seems to work good for me.
If I had other horses in the area it might not work out so well - since everyone in the
area needs to use the predators for it to work well.

I went through a stage of not using fly rugs. BIG mistake. It may have happened anyway at some point but I will always blame myself for Joe's demise. He was turned out one hot sunny day and instead of wearing a fly rug he was naked. I looked out the window and realised he had not moved for some time. Went downstairs and out the front garden and he was stood rigid, lame and sweating profusely. I think he had run and run to escape them and ended up snapping his suspensory. He had prev damaged it four times, but it had healed - or so we thought. Only that morning OH had ridden him with no problems. Could have just been bad luck, I'll never know but from now on, my two wear their fly rugs the moment the nasty beggars arrive here.

Peds gets really bothered by them and gets nasty bites round his boy bits. Also now he's hogged it acts as a sunscreen as he has pink in his crest. (he wears a fly mask too as he has a lot of pink round his eyes.)

We cant get predators here :( I use a fly rug on jess as she comes up in welts all over, this was a few weeks ago when I didnt think there were too many bugs out
082b873cb5377a6812e24e73c0dfce72.jpg

Her brother had sweet itch so ive always been careful to not let her get too plagued by them.

I went through a stage of not using fly rugs. BIG mistake. It may have happened anyway at some point but I will always blame myself for Joe's demise. He was turned out one hot sunny day and instead of wearing a fly rug he was naked. I looked out the window and realised he had not moved for some time. Went downstairs and out the front garden and he was stood rigid, lame and sweating profusely. I think he had run and run to escape them and ended up snapping his suspensory. He had prev damaged it four times, but it had healed - or so we thought. Only that morning OH had ridden him with no problems. Could have just been bad luck, I'll never know but from now on, my two wear their fly rugs the moment the nasty beggars arrive here.

That sounds awful to go thru. Its one of those things you beat yourself up over but never really know.

We have some "if only" too with when Matty got a blockage from urinari calculi.
We took him to his vet right away and not to Tufts. Where Bucky had gone many years before.
There are not a lot of goat vets around and he was 45 min away and did not treat it like it was the
emergency it was. and when he finally decieded to operate hrs later he stopped breathing
when they gave him anestesia.
Would the out come have been different had we gone to
Tufts ????? We will never know.

newrider.com