Charlie and the road works, take 2 - pics

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
Well, the men came yesterday and fixed the leak, so our temporary streams have gone. But the road is still covered with sand and gravel, and there is a hole in the road with ROAD CLOSED signs at each end and blue barriers around the hole. You can just see the stripy tops of the blue barriers and the road sign at the far side:IMG_4201.JPG

So obviously there was another training opportunity.

Charlie loves to go out. I had tied him up with some hay to practise picking up feet - he was the best yet, an easy lift and hold on all 4 - and he walked cheerfully away from the full hay net to head down to our gate.

He had a good old snort at the sand and gravel and only took a few seconds to acquaint himself with the lower sign:
IMG_4202.JPGIMG_4203.JPG

and then the cone ('scuse my hand)

IMG_4204.JPG

We walked past the blue barrier and he was a bit leery of it so went on to the top sign. I like this picture, because I'm asking him to touch it and he is licking and chewing:
IMG_4205.JPG

but then he got over it and had a good old sniff

IMG_4206.JPGIMG_4207.JPG

He looked at and touched the blue barriers on the way down, too. He was really curious about it, licking and nibbling the little sign that says how long the works are going on for.

Then we walked down to where the ford had been for him to get used to the different smells and lights on the road. He was a bit snorty but OK. I nearly caused an issue though by asking him to step up onto the verge (about a foot high) for some grass and a chill. That was fine. But coming down was another thing entirely! He said repeatedly that he couldn't possibly do it. I just shook my head, pointed him at the lowest bit (about 6 inches from grass to road) asked him gently but firmly, and waitied. After about a minute you could see him screw up his courage and bunch his quarters - yes, you've guessed it, a huge leap. Daft bugger.

He was very good on the way home but silly and prancy as we came into the field because he wanted to gallop back to his hay, and had a little strop when I didn't let him. Apart from standing away from his feet, I'm becoming much less inclined to react to these little displays of temper. They only last a few seconds and then he is good again.

So good that he is allowed to have his hay
IMG_4208.JPG

It's amazing how many opportunities you will find for training.
You will start to see the world differently. Dam roadworks become ooh a hole in the road.

Mine used to jump off the curbs if I had asked her to step up onto a verge. I think it's because they don't know where the back feet are.

I like his little strops, character.

newrider.com