Charity ride.....anyone want to help me??

Monty

Nov 16, 2001
On a farm
Visit site
Have been thinking how lucky I am being able to ride again after all the heart (and hip!!) ache since my hip replacement broke and had to be removed in 2005. Thinking too about how lucky I've been to have the support of my NR friends, and how much it has meant to me.

So have decided it's now my turn to do my bit to help someone else. I have a hitherto very, very patchy plan, and intend to put it into action next summer, as there's too much planning to do, for it to be this summer, never mind getting horse and rider fit enough!!;) I'll give you the basics, and I'd love some ideas of how to modify it into something do-able, workable, and everything else-able! And that's before starting to make concrete plans for it. And I know that planning can take an imense amount of time:

It goes something like this. I would like to do a sponsored ride for the Riding For the Disabled Association. With the most enormous respect I don't want this to become an open sponsored ride, because that then makes me the organiser who is responsible for every rider's safety, and from experience I know this can be a legal minefield from an insurance point of view. So I would really only want one or at most two others on horseback with me.

I'm pondering upon the possibility of a sponsored ride, riding say 3-5 miles a day in every county (the old counties of which I believe, there were eight) in Wales...or another route would roughly be Offa's Dyke (The Marchers). I've asked around a bit, I mean just picked a few brains upon this. There's me, who realistically couldn't manage much more than 5 miles a day (given any other chores like mucking out, and driving my Landy and trailer). Rubi, who will be fittish, but never mega fit, as I don't want her that way. Though I'm prepared to get her in shape for the event. We'd both need overnight accomodation. I'd like to do it on carefully selected roads, rather than too much bridlepath, so that we pick up some sponsorship money along the way. I spoke to my insurance company who supported me whole heartedly and then rang back and said that whatever money I made, they would double it!:). I'd need a small crew of people to help me, with ideas, perhaps walk along with me for half a mile, a mile/two miles in any particular part of the country. It would be mostly in walk, with a little trot, and where 3-5 miles/day might not sound much, it is with only one hips joint....I'm afraid you'll have to take my word for that. I feel that NR and The Monty Fund has had a huge part in getting me this far, and now I want to put something useful back into the riding community.

Any useful suggestions ideas, please let me know. I would welcome all. Love to hear from my NR friends in the various welsh counties, especially if you'd like to come along, or meet up along the way, or with route suggestions. However, I'd be grateful for everybody's suggestions, practical or logistical.

Thankyooooooo!:D

I'm in Herefordshire, nearly on the welsh border, would be delighted to help, can offer horsey accommodation or would be glad to help out in any other way.

Just shout if I can help:)

What a beautiful idea. I'm in South Wales and I'd be very happy to help out walking alongside on the ground. If I can be of help, please let me know.

Thank you. I won't be asking people on NR to sponsor me as I feel I've received a lot of direct help from you already.
And it's still nice to know that even those of you who can't help in anyway, do support my effort. Moral support every bit as welcome as practical and operational support etc!:eek:

To those of you who would like to help, and live within practical distance of doing so, I will PM you my email address in due course, so that I can gather names and contact details from you, for reference nearer the time. the first thing I want to do is to plan a route, so that people can be clearer about whether they can help or not. I will also be asking you about blacksmith/vet details along the way. Hope not to need them, but I think it would be sensible not to wait until I need one before I start looking!

At this juncture I would point out, that although I compete at RDA competitions, I personally benefit very little from the RDA now, purely because I lost my riding place when I had my hip done and there is a long waiting list for me to restart, and even when I can I'm not sure I will, as I wouldn't benefit so much from group lessons any more, because my needs are rather complex. But I had five lovely years of camaradery, and confidence giving from the RDA in the late nineties, early 2000s, and I'll still go to their dressage training events and to catch up with my former partners in crime. The camaradierie is so important, as you can get to feel so isolated when you're in a position like this, even surrounded by the nicest possible able bodied riders. The point being that any funds I can raise for the RDA will be a thank you for what I've had already, not to fund any benefit for myself now. That's exactly what I don't want.

I definitely volunteer my services as a walker, on the ground person, as I don't think i'd manage to get Red there to join in. :)

I'll come and be a walker if you want me to be - I'm in Cheshire so I would definately do it if you are riding near the border up in the north end of Wales.

:)

I would be willing to lend a hand for any grooming services also :) I'm trying to choka block my summer !

newrider.com