Chanter isn't laying down

OwnedbyChanter

With out my boys life would be bland
Apr 16, 2009
Raininghamshire
getting really stressed now. It's been four days and he has not laid down once.

He always comes in covered in mud from head to toe and even under his rugs but the last four days nothing and not even on his stable he has a beautiful full tail and I would see the shavings.

He did struggle to get up about two months ago when I was in the field with he but he was fine the next time as I watch him like a hawk.

He looks down as well I know that sounds mad but I can see it in his eyes.

He looks amazing at the moment by so worried

I can see why you'd be worried. Is he generally stiff all over? I seem to remember he has supplements? Does he have a low dose of bute? Is it worth ringing the vet for a chat? Is everything else okay, ie, poop etc?? You say he looks down, could he just be feeling the cold and wet? I know our old girls will only tolerate being out even rugged for half days atm as it's been so chilly and damp. They appear much brighter having a couple of extra hours indoors and the rest just wandering the yard.
It doesn't sound mad at all - I can always tell if ours aren't quite right by their eyes. Presume nothing has changed stsble wise?

I agree with @Trewsers - if you feel that he's not right there probably is something out of kilt, not to say he's definitely ill but IMO good owners know when there animals are "off". I think if it were me (due to no experience to draw from) I'd give a friendly vet a ring if you have one and ask their opinion to see if you can between you shed some light on it. Sorry to be of no help but I wouldn't think you were worrying for the sake of it as you know him too well.
Keep us posted xx

You don't sound mad OBC, and if I'm honest it would worry me too.

If it was just in the field I'd wonder if he doesn't like the wet, but if he's also not laying down in the stable like he normally does that suggests it may be something more. Add that to he looks down &I'd be thinking something was up too. Is it possible to have a chat with your vet & see if they suggest trying anything before they come out? Maybe upping his pain killers slightly (am I right in thinking he's on some, or am I mixing him up with someone else?). I'm assuming you've done the obvious like checking he hasn't got a temperature & there's no obvious stiffness or signs of a fall. Otherwise I'd get the vet out, if only for my peace of mind.

I would be worried too if Kia wasn’t coming in coated in muck, he is a total hippo and likes to have a roll in fresh shavings as well.

I would have a blood test done. This was how I found out about Kia’s Cushings and also a few other issues he had that was making him not himself. He is now being managed accordingly and it’s making a big difference to him.

I would be concerned too if it was Dolly - mainly because that was the first real signs the Solly really was struggling as he was a mud rolling, totally hippo mentality old horse:). But upping his bute did help hugely and got him through to the next spring when I could then reduce the bute again and he was miles better that summer reverting to mud glorious mud in the midler months. :)

Reactions: Trewsers
I second having a word with your vet. Obviously I don’t know about your Vets, but mine offer a free phone consultation to all clients. If you have something similar could you ring them to discuss and they may be able to suggest something over the phone or ask you to try x, y, z etc.
Hope he perks up soon x

How is he today?
Yes it would concern me. I always brush any mud off her face and writers and hope to find something the following day.
It could be anemia, a virus. Definately have a chat with the vet.
Not mad at all, the eyes will change.

Thanks guys I took his temperature tonight before I read this it was normal. It's strange because he comes in like a bullet the last two nights but he normally hates being in and screams the place down.

He came off the Bute when I stopped riding him and went on to no-Bute.

I think I will pop in to vets tomorrow and ask he might have to go back on Bute again. But if I'm honest I will try it but if he can't get up or down I will do the right thing

Reactions: carthorse
Hopefully some bute will have him back to his normal self. I don't know what the weather is like with you, but the damp & wind here has been hard on horses & people who get stiff & achey.

Reactions: orbvalley
Sending positive vibes that he is OK and there is nothing wrong. Your gut instinct is always the one to follow. No-one knows him better than you do.

As they get older their hocks often get sore and make getting up and down harder for them. Pheonix went just how you describe, he was sleep deprived from not laying down, a few days of bute and long term using leg wraps to keep his joints warm in the stable saw him right and we carried on like that for several years :) healing vibes coming chanters way

Reactions: Trewsers
Sorry to read OBC, hopefully the vets will have something positive to say and with a bit of a change in meds he feels better, what a worry for you x

Have u tried equine touch? just a thought. Hope u find out whats happening soon. Xxx

He had a lay down yesterday thank goodness but I can see the marks in the field it looks like he is struggling to get up

He wears leg wraps every night and I am keeping him warm. Upped his supplements watching him all the time
That's great news:) I have some heat reflecting leg wraps which were phoenix's, it's just a plain wrap with a silver reflective lining which just pings their own body heat back at the leg, I'll pop them in the post if you'd like to try them? :)

That's great news:) I have some heat reflecting leg wraps which were phoenix's, it's just a plain wrap with a silver reflective lining which just pings their own body heat back at the leg, I'll pop them in the post if you'd like to try them? :)[/QUOTE

Thank you that is really nice if you.

I moved them to a dry field this morning plus the yard staff can see them from this field. I am going to call the vet tomorrow and get bloods taken and get done Bute I'm just not happy with him he looks tired and down and I will not have him suffer.

Reactions: Jessey
newrider.com