Changing from a barefoot trimmer to a farrier

MrA

Feb 8, 2012
My trimmer is lovely, she has done a great job with Ales feet but I'm considering changing to a farrier now.

My yard owners boyfriend has just qualified fully, it's a little awkward for me to continue using the trimmer although she hasn't said I can't. He is very good and knowledgeable, as well as great with the horses.

Because my trimmer isn't that local I am paired with someone I know nearby who is always on a 6 week trim cycle. Ale needs 6 weeks in summer but there was nothing at all to take off yesterday was just a very small tidy. I think in winter Ale would go on every 8 weeks like the other boys that live out.

Cost is obviously also an issue given that at the moment I am earning less, barefoot trimmer is £50 and farrier £30

My trimmer is currently on maternity, I'm going to let her know and ask how much notice she wants, I'm happy for her to come and trim him again as I'm not sure how much to give.

Any thoughts?

I would try the farrier, but take pictures from the 6 standard angles now so you can use them to see what changes over the coming months.

Tbh I wouldn’t expect to give the trimmer notice as such, I’d explain it to her just like you have here, it’s not personal, it’s not her work, it’s just that your yard having a farrier on site is putting pressure on you to employ him, and if she doesn’t mind you will call her back if it doesn’t work out. If she’s on maternity she may be quite ok with having one less out of the way client to fit into her schedule ?

Reactions: MrA
I feel the same as @Jessey , you don't need to give notice but it would be polite to give an explanation and that would also keep your options open. I would have a chat with the farrier before he trims Ale for the first time, simply because you know his feet and any issues you've had in the past. Realistically you get good and bad in both, but there shouldn't be much difference between what a trimmer does and a farrier, and in my opinion a farrier has a more comprehensive training than most trimmers. Keep an eye on things and don't be afraid to speak up if you see something you don't like.

That's excellent advice from @carthorse - don't ever be afraid to speak up if you see something you don't like. I won't go into details on here, but there have been a few things a long time ago I wish I'd been brave enough to mention. So do take that advice on board.

Reactions: MrA and carthorse
Brilliant advice thank you. I'm feeling quite confident about this farrier as I've seen his work on other horses. For example taking back shoes off and the feet look great and he does numerous barefoot trims on the yard. He's also already asked to see notes from my trimmer regarding previous issues Ale had so that's reassuring. I would however definitely like to keep in touch with my trimmer so if I did feel unhappy I could see if she could fit us back in so that's great advice, thank you

Hope it works out! Ale. Changing anything like that is always a bit nerve wracking!

I'm considering the same thing @Ale. Or possibly finding another barefoot trimmer. It's a shame as I love my trimmer but the distance is proving tricky with regular trimming at the moment.

Pete used to be really tricky to trim and has done so well under our current trimmer I dont really know what to do!

Hope it works out! Ale. Changing anything like that is always a bit nerve wracking!

I'm considering the same thing @Ale. Or possibly finding another barefoot trimmer. It's a shame as I love my trimmer but the distance is proving tricky with regular trimming at the moment.

Pete used to be really tricky to trim and has done so well under our current trimmer I dont really know what to do!
Ale used to be nervous of men in general, which is one of the main reasons I switched to my trimmer. But her maternity cover is male and Ale barely even acknowledged him so that sort of encouraged me more!

Reactions: carthorse
newrider.com