Change of diet - introducing hay for winter

Roxy's Mum

Jul 21, 2009
Dorset
Well the weather down here seems to have taken a rather (wet) turn for the worse - not that I'm complaining really, the rain is quite refreshing! :smug:

Anyhoo, at the moment she is only at grass and has no hay or hard feed. And now I'm wondering how I gradually start to introduce hay into her diet when she starts being brought in at night (not likely for another couple months or so)?

We recently had all our winter hay delivered - about 3 weeks ago - and it's VERY green. Looks and smells delicious (yummy!) but as it is quite rich I'm wondering whether I'll be able to just give it to her straight away, or whether she'll need to have it gradually introduced. I don't want to start giving her two big haynets all of a sudden, only for it to have a horrible effect on her.

What do you reckon? I'm guessing in a couple of months the hay will be less green/rich - do you think I should still introduce the hay gradually over a couple of weeks, before she starts being brought in?

I can't remember what I did last year! :help:

We don't usually start introducing Hay until much later in the year, amazing what they can still find , by then (Novemberish) the Hay is usually about right, nothing in the grass and change not been a problem. I wouldn't feed it whilst still green but thats me and sometimes you have no choice, then a little at a time if you have to.
just re read your thread and noticed bringing in at night, so guess you have no choice if all you have is new hay

Last edited:
Do you have any of last years hay left? You could mix a bit with that if you do.

Yes I do and thought this would also be a good idea.

To be honest the hay has been here now for at least 6 weeks and she's not going to start having any of it for another couple of months.... so the hay itself should be okay by then.

I think I'll gradually introduce it into her daily routine as a handful at first and then gradually bit by bit until she has enough to see her through winter.

It is OK to feed when it is green. I fed mine some as soon as we cut ours, but I would introduce it gradually perhaps over a couple of weeks or so.

newrider.com