chaff sugar contents - for anyone who is interested ;)

P

PatchyPony

I contacted all the companies and got the sugar contents for various chaff products, following my recent investigations into feeds, lol!

Spillers Happychaff - 30%:eek:
Horsehage mollichaff org - 16.5%
" " apple chaff 17.5%
" " showshine 12%
Baileys Golden Chaff 10%

(with alf alfa added )
Dengie Hi Fi lite 4%
" " hi fi senior 8%

:)

I contacted all the companies and got the sugar contents for various chaff products, following my recent investigations into feeds, lol!

Spillers Happychaff - 30%:eek:
Horsehage mollichaff org - 16.5%
" " apple chaff 17.5%
" " showshine 12%
Baileys Golden Chaff 10%

(with alf alfa added )
Dengie Hi Fi lite 4%
" " hi fi senior 8%

:)

Hence why I use Dengie Hi Fi Lite :)

What is the % for fibergy by dodson and horrell mine get that as it it low calorie so dosn't have the sugar that the rest do.

So are the percentages for pure alfalfa lower- so the alfa-a range instead of the hi-fi?

I never realised the sugar content of some of them was as high as that- i was considering changing my boy over to some of the flavoured (like apple) ones as they look and smell a lot more palatable than the alfa-a lite that he has- there's no way i'm doing that now- imagine the sugar rush- he's bad enough after one polo:rolleyes:

Methinks i will be sticking with the good ole dengie range!

So are the percentages for pure alfalfa lower- so the alfa-a range instead of the hi-fi?

I never realised the sugar content of some of them was as high as that- i was considering changing my boy over to some of the flavoured (like apple) ones as they look and smell a lot more palatable than the alfa-a lite that he has- there's no way i'm doing that now- imagine the sugar rush- he's bad enough after one polo:rolleyes:

Methinks i will be sticking with the good ole dengie range!

Try dodson and horrel fibergy it has added mint smells lovely it's a low sugar chaff, my mare actually eats it (she's fussy with feed) http://www.dodsonandhorrell.com/uk/dh/horse/fibre/fibergy It lasts me ages, i have to fit it into 2 feeds bins.

the hi fi lite is the lowest - but it has alf alfa in it, which I want to avoid for now. Its hard to find a plain chaff though with such a low sugar content!:rolleyes:

the fibregy (also containing alf alfa - so no good for me) is 6%:)

Just out of interest why do you want to avoid alfalfa? Just wondering if i have missed something bad about it?

the fibregy (also containing alf alfa - so no good for me) is 6%:)
Thanks, i think i'll just stick with that as it's only 2% difference and she is actually eating the fibergy so don't want to change and her not eat it.:)

I had heard only pretty good things about alfalfa and that it acts as a buffer and can help to prevent stomach ulcers and all sorts- i didn't know it was quite high in protein and calories- the alfa-a lite is supposed to be approved for laminitics as well so shouldn't have as many calories i guess!

Mind you with the tiny miniscule amount my little one gets as a bit of a token feed really i doubt it is really doing anything to him! Darn thing just lives on fresh air and still has a grazing muzzle on! He is about the right weight just now but it doesn't take much for it to put on weight!

Just out of interest why do you want to avoid alfalfa? Just wondering if i have missed something bad about it?

no, nothing bad. Ive just heard of a lot of horses that react to it and become fizzy. Im planning to keep mine on plain old chaff and speedibeet for a few weeks and then start adding things in gradually to see if she reacts, thats all.:)

What is the % for fibergy by dodson and horrell mine get that as it it low calorie so dosn't have the sugar that the rest do.

I am pretty sure that the sugar content is around the 5% mark for that.

Might have changed tho so dont quote me.

Nikki xxxx :D

no, nothing bad. Ive just heard of a lot of horses that react to it and become fizzy. Im planning to keep mine on plain old chaff and speedibeet for a few weeks and then start adding things in gradually to see if she reacts, thats all.:)

Phew! Had me worried for a bit there! Just bought a huge bag of alpha-a lite! Thought I might end up with a nutjob! lol x

No, Happy Chaff is something different. Someone posted on here recently that Happy Hoof has a 5% sugar content, so not nearly as high if the figures are correct.

Starch content is just as if not more important than sugar if you're looking at laminitics.

the hi fi lite is the lowest - but it has alf alfa in it, which I want to avoid for now. Its hard to find a plain chaff though with such a low sugar content!:rolleyes:

You are right that hi-fi lite has alfalfa in it. However, it isn't very much at all as it is diluted down with cereal straw. I think unless your horses is very sensitive to alfalfa then you shouldn't have a problem with hi-fi lite :)

according to the ingredients list, alf alfa is the greatest (listed first) in hifi. Im

anyone know about the starch levels in thes above then?;)

I know that hi-fi lite is only about 0-5% starch, it's the lowest NSC chaff available.

what does nsc stand for?

according to the website, spillers happychaff - with the sugar content of 30%:eek:, has only a 'trace' level of starch. Presumably the starch in these chaffs must be contained in the molasses?

newrider.com